87 spree - many issues

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

BigK
Noob
Noob

87 spree - many issues

Post by BigK »

I put a new battery in but the starter does not even make a sound. The spree hasn't been used in yrs, but in good condition. i banged on the server with a screw driver handle to loosen it, but it doesn't even make a sound. Any ideas

THe previous owner said the battery always gets drained all the time. So there is some short circuit somewhere.

I also cannot get the thing to start. The previous owner started it when I bought it, but it wouldn't stay started and the gas was leaking from it. They put the gasket on the wrong way.

My air screw is all the way closed because when open even a little, it leaks gas. I took the carb apart and cleaned the bowl and sprayed the float with carb cleaner. I took the springs out of the bowl and float and sprayed them and wiped them down.

I can't get it to start at all. I replaced the spark plug and it was working a little before I touched the spark plug. Then, I put the spark plug against the frame and I don't get any spark, so I am not sure how to test the wires and circuitry to make sure it works. Any ideas would be appreciated.

:oops:
BigK
Noob
Noob

87 spree

Post by BigK »

Correction: banged on the starter, not server!
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

brake has to be inguaged when starting.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
BigK
Noob
Noob

I feel stupid!

Post by BigK »

I am a dumb polack. Wholly crap!

It started, and the starter now works. Do you still need to hit the brake when you are kick starting?

Anyway, I got it started, but it sounds like it is flooding, so I will readjust the screws on the carb to where they should be and see if I can get it consistently working.

I can't believe i have been working on this time in and again and that is all it was. 8O
BigK
Noob
Noob

87 spree not waiting to stay running

Post by BigK »

I start it cold and it runs for about 1 minute on its own, then sounds like it gets flooded.

I cleaned the carb, so I am not sure what else it could be but a wrong adjustment on the carb.

Any other ideas or ideas on the carb? I checked the float. It is in good working order and not sticking. 8O
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Clean the carb again, concentrating on the idle jet (small non-removable one next to main.)
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

no, the brake doesnt have to be pulled in while kickstarting.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx