rebuild

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

baycountymopeds
Noob
Noob

rebuild

Post by baycountymopeds »

well im doing some work to my 85 spree after cracking the holes that the muffler bolt down to in the right side of the case. i am putting new rings in it and replaceing some bearings and replacing that side of the motor of course . my spree ran good before this but it had very slow take off. so i was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions that they think might help before i put it all back together.
85 spree
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Too get amazing take off drill out the muffler and grind out the intake. just the muffler mod alone did amazing things for me cant wait to get some new parts and file out the intake.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
baycountymopeds
Noob
Noob

ok so your saying that drilling out the baffels will make a big diffrence. are there any tips on how to do that
85 spree
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

after drilling it throw it in a campfire and leave it until the fire goes out and the muffler has fully air cooled. Then you just use a garden hose to wash out the ash and reinstall it.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
baycountymopeds
Noob
Noob

nobody has any other suggestions
85 spree
dukemartini
Spree
Spree

Post by dukemartini »

its just that simple.

buy a looooong drill bit. i got a 12" long 3/8" drill bit at my local home improvement center.

drill out the baffles being careful to not force the bit in too fast. i actually broke off a section of drill bit in my muffler by forcing it in too fast. the muffler functions fine anyway but it would be best to avoid breaking off the bit.

my scooter got a bit louder and my take off improved as well as a 2-3 mph top speed increase.

really take off is where these scoots kinda suck. i remember seeing that some one on the forum figured out how to advance the timing on his scoot and, if i recall, helped with take off. you can try searching for the topic to see how it was done.
87 Honda Elite S-BASKET CASE PROJECT
88 Honda SB50P-sold but not forgotten