Trick to reattach belt?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Martin Fox
Noob
Noob

Trick to reattach belt?

Post by Martin Fox »

Hi All - I have been going through an 85 Spree (NQ50), and I took the belt off to clean out some crud in the case. Does anyone have a trick for reattaching the belt on the pulleys before I throw my shoulder out or something? :)

Thanks!

Martin
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Put the belt on the clutch pulleys. Spread the pulleys apart with your hand so the belt drops way down between them. You have to take the front variator off to slide the belt on the front. You will need an impact wrench to get that nut off which holds the variator on. Pulling the clutch pulley apart gives more length to put it around the front pulley behind the variator. Make sure that variator nut is put back on tightly with the impact wrench.
Martin Fox
Noob
Noob

Belt

Post by Martin Fox »

Thanks hondaman, I figured it would be something like that. How hard should it be to pull the clutch pulleys apart? Mine doesn't appear to be rusted or stuck but it takes both hands to make the inner pulley move in. I will definitely have to use a clamp when I put the belt on in place in the case.

Thanks again,

Martin
HuskieMobileMan
Spree
Spree

Re: Belt

Post by HuskieMobileMan »

Martin Fox wrote:Thanks hondaman, I figured it would be something like that. How hard should it be to pull the clutch pulleys apart? Mine doesn't appear to be rusted or stuck but it takes both hands to make the inner pulley move in. I will definitely have to use a clamp when I put the belt on in place in the case.

Thanks again,

Martin
Once you have the pulleys apart, stick the belt in there and it will hold it in place so that you can get the drive face on.
'87 Elite SE50 w/65cc Polini Kit
'84 Aero NH125
'84 Aero NH80
'05 Kymco ZX50