Stuck at 27

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

RastaCalavera
Noob
Noob

Stuck at 27

Post by RastaCalavera »

I bought a 87 honda elite 50 from a family member and the scooter sat for a good three years un-touched. Ok so here is the deal. I got my carb cleaned by a shop because i couldn't get it to idle. Now it runs well execpt for the fact that it tops out around 27 and I want it to go at least 35 maybe forty. I checked the belt because the guy that cleaned my carb told me that it was old and lose but when I opened it up myself it looked new and tight. LIAR! so my belt is ok what else can I do to get more mph? I kind of know how to screw with my idle screw but does that really help?
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Your idle screw has nothing to do with your top end speed. It does what its titled as --adjusts idle of your engine. The average spree will only do 30 t0 35 tops. Many things will effect top end speed. Your cylinder head may need to be decarbonized. Your air filter may be dirty or need to be replaced. Your muffler may need a good cleaning from carbon buildup over the years. Your weight itself,if you are heavy, will effect top speed. Make sure tires are inflated to correct pressure. A new spark plug never hurts. Make sure you are using 4 stroke injector oil. There are modifications that some people have tried with different results. Some say they work,others say they did not. Try the basic stuff first and see if your speed improves.
rickc
BMX
BMX

Post by rickc »

hondaman wrote:Make sure you are using 4 stroke injector oil.
No, no, * no! Don't use 4 stroke oil or you'll end up with a poorly running engine and a clogged exhaust. Use only 2 stroke oil.
'86 Spree x 3
RastaCalavera
Noob
Noob

Post by RastaCalavera »

Ok I will check on the oil part of the scooter and I think I'll go with 2 stroke just to be safe. As for the air filter and spark plug, I have a new spark plug put in and the air filter appears to be clean. I am new at this though so I maybe wrong. I might just pick one up to be safe. Now for the cilinder heads and the exhaust, how do I clean those and where are the cilinder heads? I don't have an owners manual and I have rented one scooter book from the library that doesn't help much. I have also looked at the manuals that are provided from this site, but alas I cannot do rar or torrent files because my internet sucks major a##hole. So any more help would be welcomed :o oh one last thing. . . what kind of mods can i do and are they very difficult to preform? And would I post here for electric problems as well. Thanks guys
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Sorry that was a typo error. Absolutely correct use 2 stroke i repeat 2 stroke injector oil. Better check my spelling better. Make sure its 2 stroke INJECTOR oil. Do not use 2 CYCLE oil.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

As far as modifications look under the Advanced tech docs and performance tech docs forums on this site.