Not getting spark

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

DougM
Noob
Noob

Post by DougM »

I have been trying to start it with it hooked to a battery charger. It cranks good. All checks came out fine. It has spark just very weak. It has a new plug. I was thinking that the CDI must be bad, but it should just turn on and off the coils and not the intensity of the coils. It quit while riding and would not restart. It used to start everytime and then this one time it quit and thats it. Thanks for your help.
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

Well, what is your definition of a weak spark? What does it look like with the plug out?
DougM
Noob
Noob

Post by DougM »

If you look closely you can barely see it. At first I didn't think it had spark, but then we saw it. Of course it was daylight, but It was very thin and faint.
DougM
Noob
Noob

Post by DougM »

It has compression within specs, but won't even try to fire on starting fluid either. so I have eliminated the fuel aspect of the equation.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

In daylight any spark will look weak.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
DougM
Noob
Noob

Post by DougM »

Well, this is a very small spark and with compression won't fire starting fluid. So I am at a loss.
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

Mine looks very weak and puny in the daylight too, although the scooter runs fine. I really do recommend you try it in a darker atmosphere, such as night, because as said it really is hard to see during the day. Also are you sure you checked simple things such as the air filter etc?
rickc
BMX
BMX

Post by rickc »

If the spark is blue/white then it's good.
If the spark is yellow/orange then it's weak.
'86 Spree x 3
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Are you sure you have good compression? Remove the spark plug and put 5-10 drops of oil (anything will work i use regular 30weight oil because i have a squirt bottle of it) down the spark plug hole, then crank the motor over for a few seconds with the sparkplug not in. Put the plug back in and try starting it if it runs you have bad compression.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
DougM
Noob
Noob

Post by DougM »

Thank, I tried that too. I also tried priming the down the plug hole and still have no fire. I have good compression according to my gauge. It won't fire starting fluid so i assume its spark related.