Argh! Scooter won't start + father-in-law = Frustration

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

that sounds to me like a 'reed valve' problem.
do you have an air compressor? if so blow a non-stop stream of air right in the carb and try starting it.
for me when my reed valve went out. i unhooked my gas line and had the same problem you are having. my step dad tried this and it would run but if i let off the air it died. got a new reed valve and it worked perfect
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
joeweir1
Spree
Spree

Post by joeweir1 »

Did you check the compression?Anything with an engine that I squirted starter fluid in the carb started at least as long as the fluid burned-up as long as the compression was good and good spark.Also, after squirting fluid in carb. put hand over carb inlet partway to restrict some airflow so it is not too lean.If you have spark outside the engine then you should still have it when the plug is installed.Did you pull the muffler to see that it is clear and no carbon build up on the exhasut port?How about pulling the head to look for carbon?good luck
85' Aero
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

joeweir1 wrote:Did you check the compression?Anything with an engine that I squirted starter fluid in the carb started at least as long as the fluid burned-up as long as the compression was good and good spark.Also, after squirting fluid in carb. put hand over carb inlet partway to restrict some airflow so it is not too lean.If you have spark outside the engine then you should still have it when the plug is installed.Did you pull the muffler to see that it is clear and no carbon build up on the exhasut port?How about pulling the head to look for carbon?good luck
I don't know about the compression, but I did take the head off as well as check the exhaust for decent flow. You can feel air coming out of the exhaust while the engine is trying to start so I feel that is not the problem.

When I first started working on the engine and I was cranking it via the kick start it would try to start for a short time.

I'll pursue the reed issue next.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

GIJoeBob wrote:
joeweir1 wrote:Did you check the compression?Anything with an engine that I squirted starter fluid in the carb started at least as long as the fluid burned-up as long as the compression was good and good spark.Also, after squirting fluid in carb. put hand over carb inlet partway to restrict some airflow so it is not too lean.If you have spark outside the engine then you should still have it when the plug is installed.Did you pull the muffler to see that it is clear and no carbon build up on the exhasut port?How about pulling the head to look for carbon?good luck
I don't know about the compression, but I did take the head off as well as check the exhaust for decent flow. You can feel air coming out of the exhaust while the engine is trying to start so I feel that is not the problem.

When I first started working on the engine and I was cranking it via the kick start it would try to start for a short time.

I'll pursue the reed issue next.
OK, here's a dumb question - where is the "reed valve" and could it be called something else in the manual?

Never mind - I found it. I was thinking it was part of the carb or cylinder but it is part of the crankcase.

I'll get the hang of this eventually. :P
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

yeah, it took me a year and theres still things i have to stand back and say... "WHAT?!?!?!"
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

I looked at the reeds and one of the two is just slightly not "seated". I bolted it back on and without putting the carb back on I cranked it and IT STARTED!!

I can spray a shot of starter fluid into the hole and it will start right up and run for a bit.

So, why won't it do that with the carb mounted?
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

My petcock came in and I assembled everything and

IT RUNS IT RUNS IT RUNS!!!!!!!
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Well, I rode it around the block and it ran great for a few minutes, then started acting like it was running out of fuel and then died all together.

Now it is not getting spark. Ugh, I hate electrical problems.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

GIJoeBob wrote:Well, I rode it around the block and it ran great for a few minutes, then started acting like it was running out of fuel and then died all together.

Now it is not getting spark. Ugh, I hate electrical problems.
I'm such an idiot. It did run out of gas. I just forgot to turn the switch to run after filling it up. :roll:

It seems to be running well but the take off is a bit slow and it seems to bog down until it goes for a bit and then really gets moving.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Make sure your air filter is clean and set your air screw like I have stated in other posts. That may take care of the bogging problem.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

hondaman wrote:Make sure your air filter is clean and set your air screw like I have stated in other posts. That may take care of the bogging problem.
I have a makeshift airfilter on it now that consists of a piece of large cell foam zip tied over the opening. I'll check the set screw as you suggest. The only one I can see is the one that adjusts the throttle cylinder. Is that the right one?
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

GIJoeBob wrote:
hondaman wrote:Make sure your air filter is clean and set your air screw like I have stated in other posts. That may take care of the bogging problem.
I have a makeshift airfilter on it now that consists of a piece of large cell foam zip tied over the opening. I'll check the set screw as you suggest. The only one I can see is the one that adjusts the throttle cylinder. Is that the right one?
The screw was it. It runs about 35 on level ground and accelerates like a scolded dog. :lol:

I had a small chattering noise coming from the gear box that turned out to be a missing circlip and the kick start return spring that was loose.

Now my only issue is the wheels. Both are bent. There is no vibration as you drive but I would like to correct this. Is there a way to repair this or am I stuck with buying new wheels?
DrZ34
Goped
Goped

dept of corrections

Post by DrZ34 »

Just somthin i noticed on the prev pg. that didnt sound right to me
As the pic show, the starter relay gets its power from the IGN key and the BUTTON grounds the relay to make it work

coppied from the online manwell
cubdriver
Super Cub Guy
Super Cub Guy

Re: Argh! Scooter won't start + father-in-law = Frustration

Post by cubdriver »

I tried to start my Spree in the rain the other day, hit the electric starter and it stuck on. Sounds like my relay got wet / went bad. There was no way to turn it off without disconnecting the battery.

Is there still a source for reed valves for the NQ50's?

sj
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Argh! Scooter won't start + father-in-law = Frustration

Post by Bear45-70 »

cubdriver wrote:I tried to start my Spree in the rain the other day, hit the electric starter and it stuck on. Sounds like my relay got wet / went bad. There was no way to turn it off without disconnecting the battery.

Is there still a source for reed valves for the NQ50's?

sj
There is nothing wrong with your reeds. If the thing starts, the reeds are fine.

Oh and ignore DrZ34 because he doesn't really understand electrical systems. Yes, the key has to be on but the power for the start solenoid comes from the either brake switch, the start button supplies the ground to activate the start solenoid. If the key is in the off position and for some reason you did get the motor to crank, the engine will no start because the ignition is turned off.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree