Elite 50, can't get it to start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

edjo
Spree
Spree

Elite 50, can't get it to start

Post by edjo »

Hello all, I am new here. I just picked up an Elite 50 for running back and forth to work, and I can't get it to start. I don't know the history of the thing. I have cleaned the carb, it is getting spark, the petcock is flowing fuel when its being cranked. Its driving me crazy, I want a reliable to and from work scooter, will this be reliable once I get it sorted?Thanks for your help, Ed
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Re: Elite 50, can't get it to start

Post by GIJoeBob »

edjo wrote:Hello all, I am new here. I just picked up an Elite 50 for running back and forth to work, and I can't get it to start. I don't know the history of the thing. I have cleaned the carb, it is getting spark, the petcock is flowing fuel when its being cranked. Its driving me crazy, I want a reliable to and from work scooter, will this be reliable once I get it sorted?Thanks for your help, Ed
Sounds like my current problem. They told me to check the exhaust to make sure it is not clogged and to check the reed valve (between the crankcase and the cylinder to make sure it is working.
edjo
Spree
Spree

Post by edjo »

There is air commimng out the exhaust. How are the reed vavlves supposed to be. Mine have an open gap at the end???
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

edjo wrote:There is air commimng out the exhaust. How are the reed vavlves supposed to be. Mine have an open gap at the end???
if theres a gap thats your problem put new reeds in it.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
edjo
Spree
Spree

Post by edjo »

Can I flip them over for now??
edjo
Spree
Spree

Post by edjo »

I flipped the reeds otver and they close fully now. Bike still won't start. I put a compression gauge on the cylinder and it doesn't build enough pressure to even register! Rings? Anything else I need to look at befor I spend money on parts??
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

if there is no compression, it will not start or have a really hard time starting. It also sounds like a weak spark, did you change the plug? Also make sure the spark plug cap is tight, they do wear out very easily.
aloha
D
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Remove plug
put a tablespoon or two of oil in the plug hole (anything will work)
crank the motor over without the plug for several seconds
replace plug
Engine will now have insane compression and should start. If it still doesnt start then you have a very very badly damaged engine that needs a whole new topend.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
edjo
Spree
Spree

Post by edjo »

Yep thats what I have. A very badly damaged top end. New parts are on the way.
88 elite SA50
07 DRZ436sm
05 FJR1300a
05 Dr200se