Going to have to split the cases

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

edjo
Spree
Spree

Going to have to split the cases

Post by edjo »

I took off the cylinder and head today to get it ready for the new parts. Once I got the cylinder off I noticed that the piston was in pieces. I am going to have to split the cases to clean up the debris, everything is turning real smooth though so I am no too worried. So whats the quickest way to get the whole engine assembly out?? Thanks guys, Ed
88 elite SA50
07 DRZ436sm
05 FJR1300a
05 Dr200se
Pygmaelion
Goped
Goped

Post by Pygmaelion »

Here's what I recall from taking off a '94 dio engine.

1) remove the bolt that attaches the rear shock to the engine casing

2) take off the spark plug coil from the plug (you can leave the plug in for now.

3) trace the wires from the starter/bystarter.alternator up toward the connectors on the harness. Detach each of them. I list them together, because I think they pretty much trace to the same locale.

The only thing now holding the engine to the bike is the big * main bolt on the kickstand. It took putting a box end wrench on one side, and getting a socket, ratchet handle, and big cheater bar on the other side. Plenty of steady pressure to the counter-clockwise direction will get the nut off (don't try turning the bolt, go for the nut). Pull that bolt out, and the engine will drop off.

Once the engine is separate, you can take it apart in as painstaking a fashion as you wish. put your parts in the dishwasher. It's nice and hot, and gets things good and clean. Don't run it with your favorite coffee mug.

I urge you to take your time getting the flywheel, key, and crank out... Don't attack it with impatience and brute force.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

if you have the carb off, gas tank empty, and oil empty you can just tip the hole thing over. if you have a air compressor blow it out some, pulling the kick starter helps also
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
edjo
Spree
Spree

Post by edjo »

Yeah, I was looking at it again today and trying to figure out how I could clean it out with out splitting the cases. I may try your idea, or just remove the motor assembly and turn it upside down and blow it out with some oil spray and the compressor. I got the lights mounted today, the battery mounted and secured. It may get a sticker job instead of paint, I want to keepo the "rat" look going.
88 elite SA50
07 DRZ436sm
05 FJR1300a
05 Dr200se
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

yeah that might be better for you. when i fried my piston some of the bottom busted and fell in.VtCycles said to make sure NONE of it was still in the case.
before i put all my stuff on it i had it down to almost bare frame so i just fliped, sprayed mass amounts of starter fluid ( not the best stuff but it worked ) in the reed valve hole and crank it self. then took my air compressor and blow it all out. to my surprise i got 4-5 little pieces of metal out of there
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.