still cuts/bogs out

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

What does the auto bystarter do exactly? Because when you FIRST start out going you have really good power (doesnt matter how long you've idled), and when you full throttle it's really powerful, but after that time when you full throttle the power is noticeably diminished and the bike bogs out etc, and has to sit for a while to have the full power again. I'm thinking it's something getting stuck, and then reset maybe by letting it sit?
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

I pulled out the plug today and looked at it. The bike had been shut off immediately after riding last night. This is it:

Looks like a good cocoa-brown, no?

If it's ok then it narrows down the problem a lot but I still don't know what it could be :x
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

thats perfect color idk whats wrong with it. Is it just the pic or is that a deep reach plug? Are you running the correct plug? Because my dad once put a deep reach in my spree by accident and it wouldn't run worth a s***.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

I have no idea if it is or not; the guy who had it before me had put it in. Another thing to note, If I put the bike on the stand and throttle up with the wheel off the ground it has all the power in the world and freely revs all the way up to very high rpm, with absolutely no bogging. Could this tell something?
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Have you tested the compression? That's my only thought...

Well, that, and the back wheel on my Spree touches the ground still when it is on the center stand. I wish it didn't, I'd be able to check/do alot more things.

-aseigler
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

CharlotteSpreeRider wrote:
Well, that, and the back wheel on my Spree touches the ground still when it is on the center stand. I wish it didn't, I'd be able to check/do alot more things.

-aseigler
Mine does too but I found a place where there was a hump in the pavement and rolled the bike over it and put the kickstand down on the other side, so you can see saw it on the stand.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

lol my yamaha use to be like that(center stand wise)

i know it might sound stupid but did you check the reeds? the smallest gap might have that effect, i could be wrong but its worth a second look
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

I doubt its the right plug go buy the correct one and check your reeds
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

Kenny_McPlugChop wrote:I doubt its the right plug go buy the correct one and check your reeds
the 'correct one' is listed in the owners manual. if you dont own a copy there is a scanned copy in the tec documents.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

Dac wrote:
Kenny_McPlugChop wrote:I doubt its the right plug go buy the correct one and check your reeds
the 'correct one' is listed in the owners manual. if you dont own a copy there is a scanned copy in the tec documents.
Where on the plug would it say the number? (So to check the one I have). Also, if it's running well with this plug (referring to the cocoa color; not rich or lean) then why would it be diminishing performance?

And kenny what's your definition of "not running worth a s***". Mine runs idles well and does great on the stand but just has the problem described.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

i dont see how it could make a difference. i think reeds, there good till the moped NEEDS power then its not there.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Because it runs fine when the back wheel is able to spin freely (i.e., not under and real load), that would lead me again towards compression. The fuel delivery system doesn't work any differently when there is load vs. no load. I say check the compression. You could need new rings.

-aseigler
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

if he needed new rings wouldn't it be hard to start? bad rings + good idle??? maybe, but i would check a few other things before taring your cylinder off

Edit- you got me thinking now, if the rings were thin, but not broke would it cause that? im thinking back to before my bore kit. the ring got thin and one almost all the way though it would not idle at all no matter what ways i set the screws
Last edited by Dac on Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1991--------Tomos Targa-
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

What's funny that I discovered today is that if it's bogging out at partial throttle, if I give it sudden full throttle and hold it there it goes. (Not getting full power obviously but it doesnt start to bog for at least a few seconds).
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

wow, i dont know.
1991--------Tomos Targa-