still cuts/bogs out

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

Okay so where are these reeds exactly? (I'm a newb) and how do i get to them to check. What should I look for?
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

ok so theres the carb. and what the carb attaches to the Intake. the intake goes to the crank. in between the intake and the crank is the reed assembly. remove the intake and it will lift off.
theres a plastic holder, the reeds, and a metal plate that blocks them from folding to for and braking.
the reeds should sit ageist the plastic. ANY gap, no matter how small can cause lack of power. any if its big enough it will cause it to not run at all. when i say no matter how small i mean SMaLL. look close.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

Can someone post a picture of what the REAL spark plug should look like?
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

like yours, just a little shorter i think. if at all it would just be a hair shorter, but 2-strokes are so sensitive it could mess it up
1991--------Tomos Targa-
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

It should be 1/2 inch reach. Yours might be right, it's just hard to tell with the picture/camera angle. Measure it up to be sure.

-aseigler
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

thats helpful, thanks man
1991--------Tomos Targa-
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

Ok well I found out something new that might be useful. While as you know the scooter bogs down/doesn't have good power at low speeds, I discovered that above a certain speed there is plenty of power. There is this hill thats pretty steep and long enough, and if you go down even if you're giving it full throttle going down its sputtering and won't go any faster than maybe 15 on it's own. But, eventually the momentum because of the hill makes the bike roll faster whether it wants to or not, and when you reach a certain speed/rpm, when you give it throttle it shoots off like a rocket all the way up to high speeds and high rpm, with no problem. It's like something becomes freed up at a certain speed. It feels almost like a car's turbocharger kicking in. :shock:
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

so once it kicks in it will go all the way to topspeed?
1991--------Tomos Targa-
Borsch
Noob
Noob

Post by Borsch »

Your problem sounds similar to mine! I recently rebuilt my engine and I'm still having the lack of power/bogging issues you have at higher speeds as well as the decreasing performance after a short amount of riding. I doubt you problem is compression related as I have just rebuilt my engine and my woes continue. I decided that I needed to check the reed valve. I know it's hard to spot gaps but mine really does look flawless.

I have decided to order a new reed valve and gaskets. Seeing as people still think compression may be the issue I'm about to head out to get a tester and some paper gasket! Lately I think that it has something to do with the ignition timing... I have no evidence for this as it makes no sense that it would get worse as you ride. I let you guys know what I find after I check my compression.

Also I made a big boo-boo and broke the lower piston ring during installation... I put the old one back in (just on the bottom), how much bad could this do and what do you think it would do for performance?
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

Dac wrote:so once it kicks in it will go all the way to topspeed?
Yeah, when the bike gets up to a certain speed (needs the hill) it's like somebody flipped a switch and the thing absolutely shoots off. It's really fast; the street looks like it's warping into a tunnel and I almost slide back on the seat :wink:
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

It could just possibly be worn roller weights .
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

that makes perfect since. that was what i was thinking but i dont see how it would make the motor bog. rollers with flat spots could cause that but not motor bogging
1991--------Tomos Targa-
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Roller weights do effect the rpms of the engine. Lighter roller weights will give you faster takeoff but will reduce top end speed. Heavier roller weights will increase top end speed but reduce takeoff power. If he has tried everything else I would suggest replacing those roller weights and see what happens.
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

Yeah, but as dac said why would it make the motor bog, and eventually die if kept bogging?
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

You said in one of your posts that when the bike is on its stand it revs all the way up with no bogging. I have a feeling that it has something to do with those weights or the clutch spring. As soon as weight is applied to the bike you seem to have the problem.