How do you remove the left crankcase cover?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mikeg
Noob
Noob

How do you remove the left crankcase cover?

Post by mikeg »

I removed the six 8mm screws, but the cover won't budge....the manual says to remove the kickstarter, but doesn't say how. I've got an 86 Spree.

How do you "remove the snap ring and washer from the kickstarter spindle"?

my kickstarter is completely seized.

help
thanks
mike (in Nova Scotia)
sethumich
Noob
Noob

Post by sethumich »

The kickstart lever has a bolt that keeps it tight. Remove that bolt and take the kickstart lever off the shaft. That shaft is the kickstart spindle. On the spindle right against the case (behind were the lever was) should be a snap ring that sits in a groove on the spindle shaft. you can pry it off with a very small flathead screwdriver. Start at one open end and then work your way around to get it off the groove. Once you have the snap ring off, there whould be a washer behind it. It hould come off easily. Then if you have all the bolts removed, the case cover should come off.
No_Stopping_A_Spree
Spree
Spree

Post by No_Stopping_A_Spree »

I have two covers(ellites are just like this) a back and a front..after I take all the bolts off of both covers I can easily pop the rear one off but the front one is horriable..I usually get a flat head screw driver and carefully un-jam the bottem and then pull it off..I had to do the same thing with my spree the first time I took off that cover. Just slowly move the screw driver down use the leverage to pull it out some move forward repeat intil you can get it off.