how to add speed?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

hvguy
Noob
Noob

how to add speed?

Post by hvguy »

30mph is great and all, but 35 or 40 would be better.

I read somewhere that on an elite you can remove the travel limiter.....

is the spree the same setup about?

Any help is appreciated.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

:?
~2004 Geely Fashion~
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

The spree does not have a variable trans, its fixed gearing and is restricted in 2 places.

Sometimes there is a washer welded in the exhaust pipe to restrict flow, grind it out for better flow. At the cost of noise pollution (on something this small its a good thing to be heard cause people wont always see you), you can shove a long drill bit up the exhaust pipe tip and drill out 1 or 2 of the baffel plates for increased take off and a little more top end speed. This wont make it ear shattering loud or anything but you can hear it pretty good.

the other place the spree is restricted is the intake manifold. If you remove the manifold (this is a true b**** as you have to unbolt all the plastics and the rear shock to get to the bolts holding the manifold to the block) you will see that is VERY poorly machined on the carb end. Use a dremel to smooth out this transition and polish it if you want to. After doing the intake mod the pree will no longer choke in the 10-20mph area it will accelerate smoothly and slightly more quickly.

To get more topend speed you must take away from acceleration time. You can make you gearing higher by milling the front pulley or in theory (this is untested bu should work) running a wider belt (the wider belt will ride higher on the front pulley and lower on the rear because the rear pulley is spring loaded).
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
hvguy
Noob
Noob

Post by hvguy »

aaah, ok, ill look more into that today.

What about bore and compression.
Are they changeable? If so, is it worth it?

Thanks again
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You cant get bore kits, you can up the compression (stock is 100-120) by milling down the head. The max you can take off is .020".
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
hvguy
Noob
Noob

Post by hvguy »

awesome, thanks for the help. But when I went into the case that houses the belt and clutch, I noticed a large flywheel type backplate that was attached to the crank. I saw that it had a raised area to space out the belt. I got to thinking that if I milled that small spacer down, it would make it quicker.....

I only took a little bit off to be safe. I only got 1mph woot 31MPH!!!

heres pics
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

you going to get extreme and take off a little more?
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Thats called the pulley mod, you gotta use washers to keep the pulley centered.
hvguy
Noob
Noob

Post by hvguy »

I didnt have a problem with it centering.

And I think Ill take more off >=) and if it to bad, ill put a spacer in its place.

but Itll get to a point where ill lose low-end power, but will gain top end....

btw, I hit a curb at full speed, flipped, lost both of my shoes, smashed my helmet and my knife smashed into my pelvis, and twisted my ankle a little.

The spree made it, took some serious kicking to get it started again though.

I was headed toward a wheelchair ramp next to a theater, but since it was asphalt, and I had my Highs on, I didnt see the conveniently placed-curb in front of the ramp....... Isnt a wheelchairs purpose to allow wheeled chairs onto the sidewalk? Yes

But I didnt let that get me down, I finished off that tank of fuel and headed home. :wink:
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

you can also use a domed piston ( comes with low compression head )with a concave piston ( high comprerssion head ). which will make both of them high and give you 2-3 mph.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

MySpree wrote:you can also use a domed piston ( comes with low compression head )with a concave piston ( high comprerssion head ). which will make both of them high and give you 2-3 mph.
He quite clearly has basic machining skills/tools so shaving .020" from his head would be easiest/cheaper.
hvguy
Noob
Noob

Post by hvguy »

I'd be afraid of making the head not-flat.

Ill probably take it to a machine shop and have it done for a few bucks.

however, my past experiences is that you only shave a LITTLE off the head, otherwise itll warp and blow the HG.

same thing with this mini 2cycle head?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

hvguy wrote:I'd be afraid of making the head not-flat.

Ill probably take it to a machine shop and have it done for a few bucks.

however, my past experiences is that you only shave a LITTLE off the head, otherwise itll warp and blow the HG.

same thing with this mini 2cycle head?
Yep .020" is the max ypu can take off.