Jog (yamaha) will not run (fuel issue...help!)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

illuminance
Noob
Noob

Jog (yamaha) will not run (fuel issue...help!)

Post by illuminance »

I know this isn't a Honda, but if anyone can help it would be appreciated. I have a 1986 Yamaha Jog. It will not run. It is a 50cc. Battery is new, cranks great. I must be getting a spark because it WILL run when I shoot starting fluid in the carb. Only runs 5-10 seconds then dies, won't start w/o starting fluid.
Tank is super clean. I rerouted around the fuel valve/petcock to see if it made a difference (nope). Plenty of fuel is getting TO the carb.
But it won't run. I have disassembled the carb 4 times and cleaned it, but hasn't made the slightest difference. Cleaned all the passages with wire and blew out with compressed air. It is c-l-e-a-n in there. Float seems to be good.
AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE?
Any help very much appreciated!
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Is the bowl filling with gas? Try holding your hand over the intake and starting it, might be a bad choke (not sure if its auto or what?).
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
illuminance
Noob
Noob

Choke is automatic

Post by illuminance »

If the by-starter is not working, won't the scooter still start?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

No, not without a lot of help, put your hand over the intake and try. Is the intake assembly all there with a good filter?(if its foam it should be spongy and thick, paper should pass light)?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
illuminance
Noob
Noob

By Starter and Airbox

Post by illuminance »

Kenny, the airbox and filter are off simply beause I needed to squirt starting fluid down the carb. I guess if the by-starter is dead I am really out of luck, since those things are over $150 new and the scoot just isnt worth it.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

It wont run with the filter off(too lean). Put the filter back on and hold your hand over the intake holes. If the bystarter is shot and is in the unchoked mode all the time the bike can still be used just fine it will just be a little different starting it.
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

Pull the trans cover off and check the weights, ramp guides,belt,center spring, clutch springs, if the engine runs then one of these things in the trans will stop it from accelerating, yamaha mineralli based engines suck compared to honda :x
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
illuminance
Noob
Noob

Post by illuminance »

Thanks guys for your help. Let me add that I have had numerous Honda and Yamaha scooters, and Honda wins the competition hands down. There is a guy on Ebay selling new carburetors relatively cheap. I am sure they are from china, but I am hoping it works long enough to sell the d*** Jog to someone else. Once I get it, I will install and report back. I am thinking it probably was the bystarter.
illuminance
Noob
Noob

Jog is Jogging!

Post by illuminance »

Got the new carburetor from Ebay for $70. Installed it...scoot fired right up. Thanks for everyone's help.
Charlie