Spree runs, but not well

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

d4founta
Noob
Noob

Spree runs, but not well

Post by d4founta »

Ok so I just had a new piston and rings installed by a local guy who did a great job. My spree had no air filter on at the time and he tuned it and it ran to my surprise very well. Today I installed the bottom half of the airbox/rear mud fender and put a "cut your own" foam filter to match the filter and oiled it as well. Now my spree is running like crap. There are two issues:

1. It is extremely tempremental to start and requires me jiggling the spark plug wire and other wires around it, once i jiggle the magic wire, it fires right up no problem. This I am guessing just means I need to work through the wiring and find the loose connection.

2. While driving the spree lacks power and will go about 23 mph when semi warm, but after I bring it to a stop and try to drive again in seems even slower, only going about 15 and wanting to bogg out.

Aside from finding a stock airbox top and air filter, which I have had a * of a time finding, what else can I do to fix this problem? Any suggestions or help would be great. Thanks!
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Sprees are VERY PICKY about what they breath through. You need the whole airbox+factory filter for it to run right. What the guy did was increase your fuel to air mix to compensate for having no flow restricting filter. Do a plug chop, if you cant figure out howto do a plug chop/look it up then I HIGHLY recomend you let somebody else deal with it before you burn something up.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
snikro
Spree
Spree

Post by snikro »

Kenny´s right, get an air filter on there pronto. There´s not really too many ways around it with the spree...
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

i put the rings on, and the new piston, he needs a air box like a told him, i tuned it to run, but i also said, dont run it like this for long, it has a short in the system, but at the time i didnt know about it. it just needs a box, and it will run.