Carbon build up in the exhaust port

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Cold -- before being started when new rings and other crap was installed. Over 120 on a Spree is a sign of very bad things to come.

-aseigler
itzmepete
Goped
Goped

Post by itzmepete »

Well, thats one problem. You have to take a compression check with a hot engine. You are supposed to run it at idle for a while, then do a compression check. The pressure when cold doesn't matter. The engine isn't cold when running. When the engine warms up and everything expands, thats when the compression counts. Could care less what it is when its cold its when the engine reaches operating temp. I suggest you run it , get it to normal operating temp and then take a compression check. Thats the true pressure. Check it that way and come back with what you get.
ANDREW
Spree
Spree

honeing

Post by ANDREW »

how much did it cost to hone it out?
itzmepete
Goped
Goped

Post by itzmepete »

I have heard some guys run to the honda cycle dealer and they have done it for free, my dealer would charge, they charge for everything! A honer from Sears costs like $19. Just attach to a drill, even a cordless drill. place inside the cylinder, then adjust the tension, don't want alot, just enough to work the cylinder, spray with light oil, WD40 and work it back and forth from top to bottom with drill set at like 500 rpm. Stop every few minutes, wipe clean and look, add oil do some more. The last hone you want to release tension on the stones, just light tension only. Go up and down so you have a x pattern on the cylinder walls. Should take but 10 minutes max.

I bought my honer to redo my 4 wheel disk calipers on my shelby and used it on my lawnmower rebuild. Its a handy tool, easy to use, just gotta make sure you do it and it leaves a X pattern. If the x pattern is too close, means you are either running the drill too fast or not going up and down fast enough.