Carb issues

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Moparmick
Noob
Noob

Carb issues

Post by Moparmick »

I have a 84 spree with a carb problem, fuel is running out he overflow really bad, this is a newly rebuilt carb never been on my spree before ,I had this exact same problem twice before it took me going through 2 carbs and cleaning and rebuilding them to get it to stop, lasted about 18 mo. started overflowing again thats when I bought this present carb and am having same problem, is there something else that could cause this? I cant believe 3 carbs would have same issues. Mick
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Maybe your petcock is stuck open allowing gas to flow too much to the carb. Gas is only suppose to flow to the carb when engine is running. Petcock is suppose to close once engine is off and no vacuum is present.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

sounds to me like the needle that sits under the float isnt put on right. thats what shuts the gas off from coming out the overflow in the first place. :wink:
~2004 Geely Fashion~
Moparmick
Noob
Noob

Post by Moparmick »

Is the petcock cleanable or rebuildable if its diaphram operated wouldnt be better to replace it?
ShochuJohn
BMX
BMX

Post by ShochuJohn »

I had this same problem. It was a tiny piece of debris interfering with the float needle. If, however, it occurs with different carbs, it may be the petcock. Have you tested it by sucking on the vacuum line?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

The best way to test the petcock is to disconnect the fuel line and crank the engine over, gas should come out at a decent rate.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Moparmick
Noob
Noob

Fuel line

Post by Moparmick »

I pulled the fuel line I have fuel flow all the time, Mick
Moparmick
Noob
Noob

Post by Moparmick »

I should have said I have fuel flow all the time even when its not cranking just sitting still
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You have a blown petcock, make sure it isnt flowing fuel down the vacuum port.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Moparmick
Noob
Noob

Post by Moparmick »

Can they be repaird or do you just replace?
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Replace it.