Still only runs and starts with finger on bystarter hole???

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

I guess I will clean it out again.

I let it sit in the carb dip for almost 2 full days.

Took it out then went over everything I could get at with a toothbrush and some Acetone to help dry everything out. then hit it with the high air.

I do have a new insulator, and new rubber o ring for the back of the carb. new reeds. new Float. Man. I dont think anything would be cracked as it ran somewhat well before I started messing with it.

Whats a used carb running for these days? I just need the top and bottom pan. I have all the other stuff??
85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

Might be getting a new used top and bottom carb tomorrow. Will futz around with it asap and report back.....

Stay tuned for details.
Gamemedic
Spree
Spree

Post by Gamemedic »

Got it running great. Dipped the carb and parts again for 8-9 hours, blew it out good and works like a champ. :D
85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

Well done, I am a bit closer. but still not there yet.

I got the spree to start on its own. So thats a bonus.

I adjusted the air / fuel screw and the idle screw about 200 times.

Started with the factory settings. 1.5 turns out on the air fuel screw. Then set the idle just to where the wheel stopped moving.

Get out of the driveway and down the block like a champ. Home free.

Slow down and turn the corner. Back to hit and miss on the throttle. Stop ped. move screw 1/4 turn, back on same thing. runs great for a block then like doo doo.

I checked the compression while I was in there. Solid 110PSI.

I am going to pick up another top and bottom carb tomorrow to see if I can throw some more money at this.

Will report back.

Any other hints on setting the air /throttle screws I am all ears, I have gone both in and out with the air fuel mix. and same with the idle screw. the air fuel mix does not seem to do all that much. but the idle screw is fery touchy. so I suppose that is good.

BTW. when the engine is running and I plug the two square holes the engine speeds up almost instantly.
85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

Update, Well the carb I picked up had some issues so I cant use.

Anyway, in the process of swapping everything from my current one to the new one and back I decided to put the old one back on. It would not start up, I sprayed some cleaner in the cylinder, and it did fire up. It ran the best it ever has. good throttle response, set the idle great. took it about a mile down the road. topped out at 30 ish with 215lbs on the back.

Filled it up with 93 octaine. Took it home. Set the idle some more. Great. Shut it down, no problem. started right back up 6 times or so.

Tried it this morning. and it wont start. I did not have time to spray anything, but I have searched and read the posts. Possibly a bad fuel petcock. I will get some clear gas line and see if it all leaks out. I know the battery is good, its new and I charged it with the charger. It turns over fine, but just wont catch. I know the bystarter is good and clean.

Any other suggestions would be great. I will post up on the clear fuel line status.

I have cleaned the tank, cleaned the strainer, and Tested I am only getting fuel with suction. but will see.
85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

Well I got the new clear fuel lines from Napa. It does not appear that the gas is leaking into the carb. there was only a small bubble toward the top of the line at the petcock, the rest of the line was full of gas.

The spree will only start now if i shoot some starting fluid into the airbox. Once it starts I need to rev it like crazy until it warms up, then it seems fine.

some things I noticed though. If I try to start it after it has sat all night. it will start and run for about 3 seconds then die. Then I am back to the starting fluid.

When it is sitting there idling, some times it will rev up on its own then come back down to a normal idle where the rear tire does not spin any more.

What else could it be?
Gamemedic
Spree
Spree

Post by Gamemedic »

Is gas leaking down the vacuum line from the petcock? My 87 did that and is was a b**** to start in the mornings.
85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

It doesnt appear so. I will check again in a day. It has sat since Saturday. But when running the fuel line is full no bubbles anywhere. after it sits overnight this is a tiny bubble of air. maybe 1/2 inch long in the fuel line.

It will start up and run for like 3 seconds then die, Then I need to give it some starting fluid to get going again.
85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

Alright, I looked at the fuel line again after it sat for 3-4 days. There was almost no fuel left in the line.... I am thinking time for a new petcock...

This will end up being a two thousand dollar spree by the time I am done with it.
Gamemedic
Spree
Spree

Post by Gamemedic »

Your float should stop gas from flowing through the line when the bike is off. Did you check the vacuum line and see if gas is dripping down it?
85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

Maybe Im a bit confused here, I thought the vaccum line was the fuel line. The uppermost one when looking at the carb from the side. The line runs from the top notch of the petcock to the Carb Right? When I hit the starter, gas does flow out of it, but not really at any great level.

The float in the carb is new from the dealer, The top of the float Needle (non pointed end) is seated in the small space inside the plastic float. and then the needle portion is down in the hole in the carb. Could that be wrong? Should the plastic float sit on top of the needle. Like should I just put the needle in the hole and put the plastic float on top of it, then screw it down? Or do I have it in there correctly.

Would the vaccum line be the bottom line of the two?
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

The needle does slide into the float in the little space for it.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

The flat part of the needle goes into the plastic float. The pointed end points up into the port.

The gas line goes from the top line on the petcock (the bigger one) to the top of the carb. The vacuum line goes from the elbow between the carb and the motor and the lower (smaller) port on the the petcock.

-aseigler
85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

Okay, I will look at the bottom vaccum line, If I recall it was completely Dry.
85inwhite
BMX
BMX

Post by 85inwhite »

Update from today,

The vacuum line was dry, as was the upper fuel hose. I sucked the vacuum line and fuel filled up the top line rather quickly, now it wont start at all, did not mess with the starting fluid.

So if the top fuel line was dry. The spree sat for probably 12 days without me messing with it.

and the vacuum line was dry. Could this be a bad petcock?

Thanks again for all the help.