New member Needs tips for checking out Aero50

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

adark248
Elite
Elite

New member Needs tips for checking out Aero50

Post by adark248 »

Hello everybody. I've been combing through this forum for a few days and it looks pretty lively (so many scooter forums seem to have died off). I thought I'd come to you guys with my question and any future scoot stuff I want to share.

If you don't want to read all the way through this my main question is, simply: What specific things should a Noob scooterist look for when buying used scooter? Any tips for trying to get this sucker running when I go look at it? This one is an Aero 50, so at least 20 years old. My engineering skills are limited to understanding simple machines, specifically ramps. :shock: But I'm good at picking up new concepts and am willing to learn.

I've been in the market for a while and happened across a Honda Aero 50 in the somebodies garage. They're willing to give it up for a good price because he just wants to get rid of it. So, with my limited knowledge, I'd really appreciate anyone who can help me think of some specific things to look at to determine how/if I can get the thing running again. Thanks for any help in advance. I'll go over what little detail I could get from my initial exam of the scooter. I appologize in advance if I misuse the terminology or names of parts. Like I said, newbie here.

Honda Aero 50, appears to be a later model, but I'm not sure. Just recently discovered how to tell the year through VIN, etc. Next time I check it out (hopefully soon) I'll gather this info.
Muffler appears to be rusted badly, although it isn't rusted through. Possible just on the surface.
Hasn't been run in 5 years, according to owner. Of course, last time they tried it the thing worked.
No battery, so I couldn't test it out. Not even sure if it has a kickstart. If Aero's have them, where are they located and how does one use it?
Some light pattern rust on the fork. But nothing serious as far as I could tell.
Had a key in it.
Also has gas in it, most likely 5 years old
As far as I can tell it is 100% complete and 100% original. Owner said they haven't done much with it and nothing to it since they got it quite a few years ago.
Any info on how to operate said scooter would be nice. I wanted to play around with it but felt foolish and didn't want to make anything worse than it might already be.

So, as you can see, I didn't find much when I went to look. Mostly because I dont know what to look for. What I'd like is an operable scoot (of course) but I'll settle for a fixer-upper, as long as I don't have to spend 500 bucks doing the repairs. I've been searching for parts online but haven't found much. I was trying to get a feel for a worst case scenario, meaning complete engine rebuild and how much that would cost. Any ideas on that front as well?

Anyways, thanks to those of you who read through all of that. I appreciate it and any help/encouragement you can offer. I'm dieing to get a scoot so any help at all, even a story about how cool scoots are will be great. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. I'll shut up now
calcustommetal
Noob
Noob

Post by calcustommetal »

I bought two Aero 50's and they had been sitting for 15 years with out any services. To get the 1984 running I had to buy new tires and a battery. I spent around $80. For scooters that have been sitting, you will have to drain all the liquids from the scooter and replace them with fresh fluid, gas, 2-stroke oil, and the rear gear case(I think it's called the final drive). I pulled the carb off mine because it was sitting for so long. I cleaned the jets and the needlesand the bowl. After a few more adjustments and carb cleaner I got it running. It wasn' too hard but you just have to go through and clean alot of parts out.

These scooters are not that hard to work on, if your mecahnically inclined. I have my 1983 aero completely taken apart and its been easy to repair and reassemble. I will warn you if that scooter you are buying is 85 or older they do not sell new mufflers for them. So you might need to weld up that hole you spoke of or look on ebay. Most other parts you can buy online. It is always easier to buy a newer one with not as many problems. But I love my 83 and 84 even though there not the fastest scoots.

good luck!
dukemartini
Spree
Spree

Re: New member Needs tips for checking out Aero50

Post by dukemartini »

adark248 wrote: As far as I can tell it is 100% complete and 100% original. Owner said they haven't done much with it and nothing to it since they got it quite a few years ago.
Thats the most important part, everything is there and you don't have to worry about undoing other peoples f*ckups.
87 Honda Elite S-BASKET CASE PROJECT
88 Honda SB50P-sold but not forgotten
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

thanks guys. I really appreciate the advice.

Yeah Calcustommetal, I noticed the muffler is going to be tough to find. Also what kind of batt and tires did you get for yours? I checked WalMart and their catalog says it takes ES4LB battery which was about 40 bucks. They had no tires (as i expected) but I saw some online for about 25-30 each, does that sound right?

I was just reading another post here about how Sprees are extremely easy to work on, so I was hoping that Aeros were relatively easy as well. I am mechanically inclined, good with that kind of stuff, but not trained and I have no experience.

Found the manuals downloads here so that is fantastic.

I guess the chances of this thing cranking up with a new battery are probably really low. I told the owner I could offer $200 bucks at most if it was running and he seemed to be surprised with that much. So I'm thinking if it doesn't crank right up, he'll take a lower price. From what I can tell this is a good price, am I right? The side cowl trunk thing is held on with duck tape and the front fender plastic is cracked. Would it be worth grabbing for 200 even if I have to replace some parts and work on it?
79vwrabbit
Noob
Noob

Post by 79vwrabbit »

$200 doesn't sound too bad. But if it's not running, maybe $150 cash for a well-kept 50cc moped wouldn't be unreasonable. The good thing is that it's a Honda and parts aren't all that hard to get ahold of, even for older models.

You never know what's wrong with it until you get it back to your place and take the plastic off and start getting it back to running condition. I always tend to find little things that need attention, and other things to fix those things...

I bought my 1985 Spree from an older guy for $45. It had A LOT of problems though and I had to do a complete engine rebuild, replace the carburetor, and do some extensive rewiring among other things. I knew little to nothing about the Spree models when I started, but I feel like I know them very well now. The little 50cc 2strokes are definitely the easiest scooters to work on.

The first thing I would do would be to take off the plastic and replace all the hoses with new ones from a hardware store. Drain/flush oil tank and replace with quality 2stroke oil. Then drain/flush fuel tank. If it's a steel tank like the Spree has, you'll probably have to coat it because 5 years=rust city in there. Plastic tanks (like on the Yamaha Razz) are far easier to clean out because they don't rust. Then of course, the carburetor would need cleaned.
After that a new battery should allow you to start it up. You'll have to adjust the carburetor after that to get it tuned well. Then it's time to save $$ with $4.00 gasoline this summer!
calcustommetal
Noob
Noob

Post by calcustommetal »

I bought my scooters for $180 each. I might of been able to get them for less but I really wanted them. I figured the would pay for themselves in gas. I bought the battery for $36 and the tires for 22 each at a local store. You can find the parts online at www.hondaparts-direct.com. I think thats the website if not do a simple search on google and you'll find a web site. Price out all the panels for a NB50 that you want to repalce, but beware they add up quick if you need alot. After you do that give the guy an offer and see if he'll take it. The only thing i have trouble finding is after market parts for 83-84 aero's. I sure theres something out there I just need to find the place. With the muffler issue, I'm looking for a 2-stroke muffler that is designed for a 50cc and then i'll bend and weld my own brackets and head mounting bracket.
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

Thanks 79vwrabbit. That's exactly what I needed to hear. Great cal, I'll check that site out. I'm not too worried about the muffler. As far as the plastic, I'm only interested in the front fender, forget the trunk thing. I plan on wearing a backpack to carry things anyways. Great info.

I was hoping it would run out of the garage, but now I think if it's not running and I can talk him under 100 bucks that would be best :D

For hoses can I just head to ACE and get them to cut some lengths of whatever they've got? Just take in a hose and find a close match? Or should I go to an atuoparts store and get specific honda scooter stuff?

Sorry but every new posts brings more questions because I'm new to this all. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it. It's about time I find a hobby besides Nintendo. Plus I'd love to be more knowledgeable about engines. My father-in-law builds the machines that build airplane engines, so if all else fails I'll cart it over to his house.
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

I'd hit a lawn mower repair shop and look for some Tygon F-4040-A. It's clear yellow hose specifically designed for petroleum products. If you just grab some random hose, gasoline might dissolve it instantly, or worse, eat through it gradually.

-aseigler
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

Yeah that's what I was thinking CharloetteSpreeRider. Thanks for the product number, that'll make it nice and easy.

That website is amazing, Cal. Theres a dealer within 20 miles of me that stocks every OEM part imaginable. Kind of expensive for some of them, but I might spend extra rather than risk getting something that's busted up off ebay.
79vwrabbit
Noob
Noob

Post by 79vwrabbit »

This thread seems to be filling up fast. I didn't know so many people checked so often! Anyway, I would definitely not get the hoses from Honda. I priced them once awhile ago and they were way overpriced.

What I did was just find some fuel line from Ace that was the correct ID (it's a little bit smaller than 1/4" if I remember). The other two lines aren't as important as they don't see fuel. I just put some clear line I picked up at Ace on those and haven't had problems. Actually I put in clear lines for both the oil hoses because I like to see oil in them and it helps to see bubbles or any dirt. When I first started up my rebuilt Spree with an oil pump from a different engine that had been sitting while, I could clearly see the old, dark-colored oil that was in the pump being pushed up and mixed with my new blue-green oil as it made it's way to the intake. (I thought it was pretty cool to watch.)
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

I'm glad it's filling up. No exams today so I'm just sitting here check Ebay and refreshing every few minutes. Now I'm really itching for the guy to call me and let me come get it. He said he'd try to find the old battery and see if it worked before he called me back, but now I don't really care about the battery, haha.

I like the clear hose idea, I think I'll take a cue from that. Nothing like seein things working to make you feel good.

If the guy doesn't sell the scoot to someone else (which since it's been a few days I'm getting paranoid) the next step will be to get it titled and registered and whatnot. Unfortunately Ohio doesn't allow 50ccs to run on the street without motorcycle licensing and insurance. I guess I"ll probably spend a majority of the summer getting it working anyways, so maybe I can put that off until I actually have some money.

I also found some stuff about painting on this forum, which is awesome. Is it lame to paint your Honda anything but stock? Other scooter types (vespa, etc) look down on custom paint jobs a lot of the time. Not that I care that much about what people think, but just in case I do. :roll:
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

if it looks good dont paint it, but if it is F***ed up paint it, who cares what they think if you paint it good, it wont be looked down on.
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
dukemartini
Spree
Spree

Post by dukemartini »

even if it still looks good and you don't like the color, paint it. check out the picture thread in the general discussion section to see what others have done. also use the search function to see threads about painting. these plastic panels can be a pain so learn from others mistakes.
87 Honda Elite S-BASKET CASE PROJECT
88 Honda SB50P-sold but not forgotten
elnene2k
BMX
BMX

Post by elnene2k »

Go to batteries plus for the battery on the Aero...It's $20 versus the $40 you spend at Walmart
1983 Honda Aero 50 (Restoration Project)
2002 Honda Metropolitan (Fiance's Beast)
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

s***, wish you had told me that yesterday, just bought a 40 dollar battery for it and put it in. got it started though, and was able to get most of the electric working so it was worth it
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree