Help Spree boggs under load

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jwolf370
Noob
Noob

Help Spree boggs under load

Post by jwolf370 »

Ok I'm working on a 1984 spree, I completely dissasimbled the carb and cleaned it with b12 chemtool the kind you dip the carb in over night. The spree will fire up but as soon as I put the air cleaner on it dies. I can ride it with out the air cleanre but only to about 17mph then it totally boggs out. Im very frustrated with this thing. compression seems to be good, exhaust ports are clean and the muffler I have changed out with one I know is good. compression is good and fuel tank is clean. please help!
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

A few things to try.
1-Clean your air filter
2-Make sure your air jet screw is set correctly
3-Could possibly be faulty float valve
4-Make sure intake pipe is secure and not leaking
5- You could try a different throttle needle valve setting
jwolf370
Noob
Noob

Post by jwolf370 »

Thanks,
Could it be reed valves?
Optech
Noob
Noob

Areo boggs

Post by Optech »

I have the same problem only I have a 84 Aero 50cc 1800 miles. It will do 35 without filter and 5 mph with filter attatched and bogg. I have changed by-starter on carb cleaned and dipped carb and float level checked. I have removed exhaust and run it (exhaust somtimes gets plugged) same thing, I have decarbonized head and exhaust port same thing, I have turn reed valves upside down (old trick) same thing. I have used a diffrent tank and left fuel cap off thinking it was a venting problem same thing. I am ready to throw it off a cliff. I believe there is a restriction in my carb even though it has been dipped and I have blown passages and cleaned passages with a torch tip cleaner carefully. The reason I say carb is it forms condensation around intake tube with air filter on. I am going to a local bone yard in my area and trying another carb. Let me know if you find your problem. I have never been stumped like this.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

... Did you clean the idle circuit with a torch tip cleaner? Did that fit down the idle circuit? Aren't those small files?

Both of you sound like you have blocked idle circuits. On the Aero, you may have enlarged the idle circuit. For the Spree, I'd double-check the idle circuit. For the Aero, I'd look for another carb, or run a cone filter.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Optech
Noob
Noob

Aero

Post by Optech »

I was able to clean idle circuit with torch tip cleaner, it has very small sizes. The first 1/2 inch of the tip cleaner is not filed (thats the part I use)I have sold the bike to someone however I did let them know about the problem.