Best place to get tires?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

Shipping wasn't so great. It was 47.99 in the end, tax included.
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

jstone wrote:I just ordered a set of these, i haven't got them yet but i thought the price was decent.

http://www.cbxmanmotorcycles.com/Kenda- ... 50-10.aspx
I have those exact tires on my Spree. The seller put new ones on it so luckily I don't need tires for a while yet. And yes, the price seems pretty good. $46 shipped for two tires to me. Or buy $100 worth of stuff and get free shipping.
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
booism
BMX
BMX

Post by booism »

I get tires from this place:
http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog ... ?cPath=362
they have the best selection and good prices
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

booism wrote:I get tires from this place:
http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog ... ?cPath=362
they have the best selection and good prices
I'm not super impressed with their selection for 2.50x10 tires, but the one that they do have, the Cheng Shin C800 is under $10, which is the best price I've seen.

-aseigler
seacook
BMX
BMX

Post by seacook »

Yeah, Nice that would take me down to around 30 bucks for both tires and shipping!!!
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

hey CSR how do you install your tires? Do you have to take them somewhere that has one of those stretching machines?
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

adark248 wrote:hey CSR how do you install your tires? Do you have to take them somewhere that has one of those stretching machines?
Sweet mother of the FSM, no! I would never do that. Most places would charge more than the tires cost to put them on your rims since you didn't buy the tires from them. I use two flat head screwdrivers to get the tire off, just like a bicycle. To get the tire on, I slowly and carefully press the tire on by hand. You have to go slow and push like * on the bead with your thumbs. It takes a while, usually takes me 20 minutes per tire, but I can get the tires on eventually without using any tools. It's not easy, but I don't end up damaging tires or tubes that way, ever.

-aseigler
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

CharlotteSpreeRider wrote:
adark248 wrote:hey CSR how do you install your tires? Do you have to take them somewhere that has one of those stretching machines?
Sweet mother of the FSM, no! I would never do that. Most places would charge more than the tires cost to put them on your rims since you didn't buy the tires from them. I use two flat head screwdrivers to get the tire off, just like a bicycle. To get the tire on, I slowly and carefully press the tire on by hand. You have to go slow and push like * on the bead with your thumbs. It takes a while, usually takes me 20 minutes per tire, but I can get the tires on eventually without using any tools. It's not easy, but I don't end up damaging tires or tubes that way, ever.

-aseigler
soapy water works great.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

Noticed my rear tire looked a little low today, so I pulled out the pump and brought it back up to correct PSI. While I was working on my bogging issue it started hissing. Apparently the tube popped because it let all the air out and won't hold air anymore.

Looks like I'm in for that new set of tires for sure now.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

Harbor Freight sells two tire changes:

Mini Tire Changer - $36.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=34552

Portable Tire Changer - $39.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=34542

Wal-Mart will mount them for slightly cheap if you don't wanna bother doing it yourself:
"Tire Mount (Lawn & garden, boat trailer, golf cart, ATV) $5.00 per tire"
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Nah, dont need no fancy tools, just run it over with a truck, bead pops right off. Of course with a bicycle tire you find on a spree that isnt necessary. Little soapy water and they pop right on/off.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Cubey wrote:Harbor Freight sells two tire changes:

Mini Tire Changer - $36.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=34552

Portable Tire Changer - $39.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=34542

Wal-Mart will mount them for slightly cheap if you don't wanna bother doing it yourself:
"Tire Mount (Lawn & garden, boat trailer, golf cart, ATV) $5.00 per tire"
My local Tire Express does it for free.
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

GIJoeBob wrote:
My local Tire Express does it for free.
:shock:

there's a price you don't find anymore
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
Karman
Goped
Goped

Post by Karman »

Most places will mount for free if you buy the tires from them. Its the balancing and valve stems that you pay for. This allows them to advertise "Free Mounting!" and no one is going to get car or light truck tires mounted without having them balanced. With scooter tires you wouldn't need the balancing or valve stem so you can take advantage of their offer.
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

I got my tires in yesterday. They look great but i haven't been able to mount them yet because i'm going to paint the rims while i have it apart. Took exactly 10 days to get them.