Idle speed taking off at times

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Idle speed taking off at times

Post by Scooterspal »

My idle speed is usually relatively low but constant with no stall out.

Lately, when I come to a stop it will drop off and then start to slowly speed back up to the point I need to almost hold back or she will take off. You can feel her trying to move forward.

Any suggestions on what to check?
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Re: Idle speed taking off at times

Post by Cubey »

Scooterspal wrote:My idle speed is usually relatively low but constant with no stall out.

Lately, when I come to a stop it will drop off and then start to slowly speed back up to the point I need to almost hold back or she will take off. You can feel her trying to move forward.

Any suggestions on what to check?
The throttle screw on the carb, turn it outward (counter-clockwise) in quarter turns and ride it until you find it not doing it anymore. If you haven't cleaned the carb, do so. And the air screw may also need to be adjusted.
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

I know where the idle screw is and the air mixture screw and the drain screw...

Can you tell me where the throttle screw is located on the carb and I will try as you suggest this weekend.

Thanks for the help, as always. Much appreciated!
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

The three screws on carb from top to bottom: thorttle, air, drain.

I'd suggest downloading the manual in the Tech Docs area of the site, it will have the specs for all your parts, including proper air screw adjustment although some people have better performance with different settings, depending on climate and other variables
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
Scooterspal
Goped
Goped

Post by Scooterspal »

OK. So throttle is what I'm calling idle.

Printed out the manual so I'm now on the same page, so to speak, as the rest of you folks.

Thanks!
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Its a throttle stop, I call it idle stop even though it makes no sense.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
justinnielsen01
Spree
Spree

Post by justinnielsen01 »

if the idiel screw isnt doing any thing then clean out you carb like you needle and seat area
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Its a throttle stop, I call it idle stop even though it makes no sense.
yeah, some people call it different names. i think anybody understands that when you say either throttle or idle screw, we're talking about the same thing.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
Keoni
Goped
Goped

Post by Keoni »

[quote=Scooterspal]My idle speed is usually relatively low but constant with no stall out.

Any suggestions on what to check?[/quote]

If what other people have mentioned doesn't work then you may want to start looking at your vacuum hose and inspect it for cracks. A leak in vacuum can cause strange idle situations.
VTCycles.com for performance parts.