Throttle screw don't change anything to my idle

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

solstice
Noob
Noob

Throttle screw don't change anything to my idle

Post by solstice »

Hi, need some help.

I cleaned my carb and now I don't have idle at all wen the engine is hot. Wen it's cold, it's start well and idle poorly and wen it's hot, I have to give a little bit of trottle at the red light because the engine die. I tried to play with the trottle screw but nothing happen.

When I reassemble the carb I put the neddle 2nd notch from the top, could it be my problem?

And the throttle screw, it is suppose to go faster wen I go clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Thanks fo the help?
solstice
Noob
Noob

Post by solstice »

And by the way, it is really hard to start wen hot, I have to give throttle to make it start... But when it's cold, it start in 1 turns
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Re: Throttle screw don't change anything to my idle

Post by Cubey »

solstice wrote:I cleaned my carb and now I don't have idle at all wen the engine is hot. Wen it's cold, it's start well and idle poorly and wen it's hot, I have to give a little bit of trottle at the red light because the engine die. I tried to play with the trottle screw but nothing happen.

When I reassemble the carb I put the neddle 2nd notch from the top, could it be my problem?

And the throttle screw, it is suppose to go faster wen I go clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Thanks fo the help?
You should NOT me messing with the throttle needle clip setting. Put it back to the default setting or you will most likely lean it out and kill the engine. Do that first thing before messing with anything else.

What the throttle screw does is when it's screwed in further, it's like you're twisting the throttle, it makes it stay open further but without you touching the throttle. When you screw it outward, it allows the throttle to close more. This effects the idle only. You might need to adjust the throttle cable tighter if it won't idle regardless of the throttle screw.

Does it stay alive if you slightly twist the throttle? If so, you probably need to adjust the throttle cable tighter if it dies without you twisting the throttle even with the throttle screw all the way in. Back the throttle screw out 3 turns and then adjust the throttle cable tighter. Then crank it up and adjust the throttle screw so it stays alive without twisting the throttle but so that it doesn't cause the wheel to spin as if you're twisting the throttle to accelerate.
solstice wrote:And by the way, it is really hard to start wen hot, I have to give throttle to make it start... But when it's cold, it start in 1 turns
That might be the bystarter. I have the opposite problem with mine luckily. Mine needs a bit of throttle to start cold but starts fine when hot.
Last edited by Cubey on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
solstice
Noob
Noob

Post by solstice »

I think I made a mistake when I reassemble the needle.

Because of the (2) needle clip on the picture, I put it on the 2nd notch but it's the 4th notch from the top that is suppose to be, am I right?

And for the throttle cable adjustment, I don't find in the manual where it is...

Thanks for the help, I'm kind of new in the carb world!
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

solstice wrote:I think I made a mistake when I reassemble the needle.

Because of the (2) needle clip on the picture, I put it on the 2nd notch but it's the 4th notch from the top that is suppose to be, am I right?

And for the throttle cable adjustment, I don't find in the manual where it is...

Thanks for the help, I'm kind of new in the carb world!
Yes, it should be at the 4th notch from the top.

For throttle cable adjustment, go to page 3-9 of the service manual. Page 3-10 says how to adjust the carb screws.
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
solstice
Noob
Noob

Post by solstice »

Throttle adjustment is the throttle free-play?
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

solstice wrote:Throttle adjustment is the throttle free-play?
Yes. Follow the instructions and the digram in the manual for adjusting it.
solstice
Noob
Noob

Post by solstice »

My needle clip was 4th notch & my free-play is right. I don't know where to look anymore for my problem.
In the carb, is there a idle jet that could be dirty? Cause when I give gas the engine is responding well but the idle just die if I don't give throttle.
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

solstice wrote:My needle clip was 4th notch & my free-play is right. I don't know where to look anymore for my problem.
In the carb, is there a idle jet that could be dirty? Cause when I give gas the engine is responding well but the idle just die if I don't give throttle.
Could be the carb needs a good cleaning. Take the carb off, take it apart and clean it.