Dimming tail light when signaling

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mjdf
Noob
Noob

Dimming tail light when signaling

Post by mjdf »

Hello Again,

Well my 85 spree is now running great. I went to have a technical inspection done today so I could plate it, and it failed!!!!

The one reason: The tail light dims slightly when the signals are on.

I checked EVERY conncection, all good (and now very clean). I checked all bulbs; all to spec & working.

Is the slight dimming of the tail light normal when signaling? Let me know. Thanks. If no, what could be the problem?
adark248
Elite
Elite

Re: Dimming tail light when signaling

Post by adark248 »

mjdf wrote:Hello Again,

Well my 85 spree is now running great. I went to have a technical inspection done today so I could plate it, and it failed!!!!
that is totally lame, i thought it was okay as long as it worked, regardless of if it dimmed or not. i guess i can see how that would be a problem if the dimming is really bad, though.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

Have you checked the voltage output of the alternator? Maybe it's beginning to fail? Also have you checked the battery? The turn signals seem to mainly rely on the battery to operate. It might be that the alternator is trying to pick up the slack of the battery's weakness. I know that blinkers will only work when riding without a battery.

The alternator won't blink turn signals when idling without a battery. At least not on my Spree. The positive terminal is busted off of my battery and I'm using an alligator clip until I can get a new battery next week and when riding often the clip will come off and the turn signals will fail to blink unless I'm riding it at above 10-15 MPH because of the alternator's output.

So what I'm wondering is if your battery is in good enough condition. Maybe it's weak and it's effecting the tail light when they blink. ie: It's sucking a bit of juice from the alternator and some from the battery instead of mainly from the battery?
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

If you have a bad battery it will do that.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
mjdf
Noob
Noob

Post by mjdf »

the battery is brand new & fully charged.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Perhaps inspections is being an *? If they got me for something like that i would ask to see a book where it says that. Mine does it too, what state are you in?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
justinnielsen01
Spree
Spree

Post by justinnielsen01 »

well you can rev it up when you show it to them the alternator will make it bright. and what state do you live in im in mi and i dont have to get any thing checked i just register it
mjdf
Noob
Noob

Post by mjdf »

I'm * off about this inspection. I'm in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. The law here is that any vehicle not plated for 2 years must pass a government safety inspection before allowing registration. I honestly think that they guy doing the inspection was used to inspecting cars, there were no other two wheeled vehicles at the inspection place. I'm going to drop by a Honda dealer and ask them if the slightly dimming light justifies the failed inspection. Regardless, I am going to fight the inspection process. It's ridiculous.
Keoni
Goped
Goped

Post by Keoni »

As far as I know that is a normal thing for the Spree to do being the electrical system is a so-so. Another alternative would be the turn signal bulb wattage is a little to high and is using a little more power then it should be so make sure you have the correct watt bulb.
VTCycles.com for performance parts.
mjdf
Noob
Noob

Post by mjdf »

Good idea about the bulb wattage. I'll try that. Here's a video (poor quality-sorry!) of what the tail light does when signaling.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CyU-36v-ExY

Your opinions please. Thanks.

MJDF
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

They all do this, personally I would b**** out the inspection guy and tell him to get the * book out and show me where it says thats a failure. Honda sold THOUSANDS of these things in the 80s and they all did this.
justinnielsen01
Spree
Spree

Post by justinnielsen01 »

just keep bringing it there he will pass in eventully
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

mjdf wrote:Good idea about the bulb wattage. I'll try that. Here's a video (poor quality-sorry!) of what the tail light does when signaling.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CyU-36v-ExY

Your opinions please. Thanks.

MJDF
give me a freaking break, that video looks completely normal... did he inspect it at night? how else would you notice that?

he was being an *, i guess just keep trying. with all the POS junker cars that drive around where I live that spree would operate way above the standard in town.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
CharlotteSpreeRider
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by CharlotteSpreeRider »

Quick fix would be to turn the idle up REAL high for the inspection. With the alternator turning it should not do that. Or just find a new inspection joint.

-aseigler
mjdf
Noob
Noob

Post by mjdf »

Hello All,

I finally got a response from CAA Inspection center following a formal complaint.

The inspection guy is still claiming that the slight dimming of the tail light is still an electrical failure. I pointed out this site to him, but won't budge on his decision.

So it looks like we all have the same scooter with the same problem. We all fail inspection!

Please post a reply if your scooter does the same thing, and let me know what year yours is. Inspection guy doesn't beleive that this is the "norm".

I imagine that if they admit that they're wrong about failing the scooter, that would mean they would probably have to refund a whole lot of money (60$/inspection) for a whole lot of unjustified failures. Essentially the inspection process here is about collecting $$$, rather than safety.

Please post.

Thanks,
MJDF