Hard Start Solved...at least for me.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Grandpa
Goped
Goped

Hard Start Solved...at least for me.

Post by Grandpa »

Just a heads up...dunno if it'll work for everyone and I actually don't know why it works.

I have an 85 Spree...sat for 13 years....got it running thanks to this website and their fine manual for download. And thanks to Greg for his help.

Anyway, after installing the newish bystarter it was STILL hard to start in the coolish mornings. Sometimes I'd have to wait for an hour then it would start. I was *, as everything else about it was great.

A couple of days ago I had to stop on the street to readjust something I had on the freight rack on back so put it on the stand with it still idling. Once up on the stand the idle INCREASED by a zillion rpm. I took it down off the stand...the ilde returned to normal. Back up on the stand and it increased again. I hmmmmmed.

The next morning, instead of trying to start it on the stand as I'd been doing, I took it off the stand and I was damned that it started immediately. This morning was the same...it started right up.

As I said, I have NO idea why that is other than the frame pulling or pushing on some cable while under stress....but for those of you who are having hard start conditions....try taking it off the stand first before you attempt to start it.
Keoni
Goped
Goped

Post by Keoni »

The throttle cable can be pulled on to cause the carb to be in a opened position which will make some bikes hard to start I'd take the panels off and see if you can get some slack out of the cable by checking the way it is routed so you can still leave it on the stand, which is the safe way of doing it, to start it. Good advice on your part, that should help out a few people.
VTCycles.com for performance parts.
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

oh lord Grandpa, be careful.

I'm not sure if your s.n. has anything to do with advanced aging, but if it does get that figured out so you don't have to start it on the ground. Even if it doesn't have anything to do with age, fix it. I don't want you to break something.

A few weeks ago when I knew absolutlely nothing about my Aero (I now know at least one thing) the idle was all messed up as if the throttle cable was stuck wide open, so when I started the bike it ran like a bat out of * on the stand til I killed the engine.

In my excitement to show my parents my cheap new ride, I kicked it over while it was on the ground and the thing took off, popped a wheelie and almost smashed into my mom's new car before the bike and I ate the pavement. It cut my leg, bruised both my knees, skinned my right knee and when my face hit the blacktop I tore a big piece of skin off my chin. I'm lucky that it didn't hurt me worse than it did. The bike was going really fast and it could have been bad if I hit my head or landed on my arm the wrong way. My wrist still hurts and this happened like 3 weeks ago.

So, my point is be careful with starting it on the ground. Make sure you're not holding it wide open, and make sure that your idle is set correctly or you could end up on your *... or in my case on your face.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Something isnt right if it does that, if your having starting trouble, give it some throttle.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I think Keoni's right; this sounds like a binding throttle cable issue.

Double-check the condition of the cable as well; if there are any doubts about it's condition replace it.

I start my Spree off the stand all the time; I'd never considered what would happen if it took off at WOT.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Grandpa
Goped
Goped

Post by Grandpa »

I thank you for your concern about my safety but....

I'm 62 and I can easily hold back this top fuel monster with my feet on the ground. Suggesting that I keep it on the stand to start it doesn't make sense since it WONT start while on the stand. Therefore logic dictates that in order for it to start and risk life and limb I HAVE to have it on the ground, which I do and so far my limbs are intact and Mr. Wiggly, although not working as well as it used to, is still intact.

I posted my original post to help anyone that might have the same problematical hard start problem.

And I agree, it's probably the cables. (Or else Mr. Wiggly is in the way of the air intake.) :D :D

Thanks again for your concern.