86 spree starts, idles but does not run

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

txrj
Noob
Noob

86 spree starts, idles but does not run

Post by txrj »

Hi,
Just aquired an hq50 spree and finally got it started, but stops running after you give it some throttle. I did take the carb apart and cleaned. Drain the tank as well beforehand, and then fill with new gas. I got it started, but it dies once I give it a little gas. I also unscrewed the little thing at the bottom of the gas tank, that the 2 hoses go to from the card, and cleaned it (I guess) with carb cleaner. Seems to idle fine, but no go after that. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Samargh
BMX
BMX

Post by Samargh »

I'd hazard a guess at air filter either clogged or absent... or a big air leak somewhere round there.
txrj
Noob
Noob

Post by txrj »

It looks as if my air filter is clean, but how would I check for air leaks?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Is it thick and spongy? Try cleaning the exhaust/running without FOR A SHORT SHORT 1 REV TO TEST PERIOD OF TIME.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
txrj
Noob
Noob

Post by txrj »

the sponge is dark colored, but looks clean I guess. it does not feel thick, but it is a sponge. what is the best thing to clean it with, carb cleaner? then add some wd-40 for oil?

I am not sure what you mean for the second part. are you saying to unhook the exhaust pipe and run it up for a couple of revs, or remove the air filter sponge?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Take off the exhaust and run it a couple revs, if the filter isnt a good 1/2" thick is trash, clean with soapy water and oil with motor oil.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Cubey
Spree
Spree

Post by Cubey »

txrj wrote:what is the best thing to clean it with, carb cleaner? then add some wd-40 for oil?
Use dish soap and warm water to clean it. Use any kind of motor oil (2 cycle or 4 cycle) to oil it.
1985 Honda Gyro S (project bike, work in progress!)
1984 Honda Spree - Bought May 30, 2008 with 810.8 miles on it. (Sold with ~1600mi)
Others owned/rode/sold: '86 Helix trike, '07 Vino 125, '88 Elite 250
Dac wrote:Friends+your moped=BAD IDEA.
Spreebie
Noob
Noob

Post by Spreebie »

My '86 Spree that had been sitting for twenty years had the same problem. Cleaning the carb in carb cleaner overnight did not clean the tube under the main jet. You have to take the carb off the bike, remove the float bowl, unscrew the main jet, take the top off the carb. Then you can push the tube that is under the main jet out of the carb. Do not use anything metal to do it. I used a wooden dowel sanded down to the correct size.

This tube has eight (I think) little holes that need to cleaned out and the whole tube cleaned. It fixed mine.
New to the Spree world- '86 Spree 102 miles
'86 Spree 915 miles
txrj
Noob
Noob

Post by txrj »

I will try that this weekend. Unfortunately I have a busy schedule this week and will not be able to do it until then. I did see the pictured article that shows this. Hopefully it will do the trick. I did see another message about not pushing this tube out, because I might break it. I will try and be real careful....
I am ready to cruise around on this Honda! I will let you know the results. Thanks!
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

remeber cleaning a carb doesnt mean spraying the out side and inside with crab cleaner..hehe
You need to take off the bowl, im sure you did this, but most importantly. take out the jets and clean them out with a small wire.. most sputtering problems, not running is related to plugged pilot jet. which is the one with the smaller hole in it!
have fun!
d