What the fork is this thing? (pictures included!)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

XaNtHuS
Noob
Noob

What the fork is this thing? (pictures included!)

Post by XaNtHuS »

here are the piccies :D
Image Resting out of its plug. Scooter runs fine.

Image it usually fits on the black tap thing here. Scooter coughs and has a hard time running.

Image back off again. scooter runs fine again.

My scooter is registered as a 'nifty fifty' 1985 model. No real name like 'elite' or whatever so I'm not 100% as to what it is other than it IS a honda build, however the pictures on each of the manuals do not match the same shell mine has. Which is odd but anyway, to the point.

To the left of the air filter shell, is a single tube that loops from a lower point on the engine to another point slightly above. It situates itself behind the kickstarter and, for some reason, if connected to the (what I assume is) correct part of the motor, causes the motor to start with alot of difficulty, however if i REMOVE the pipes loop, letting it rest outwards, the engine often starts on its first kick (battery is nearly dead,. starter doesnt work, engine still runs well on its alternator etc.) and it runs best without it connected.

This tube doesnt seem to contain any liquid, nor does it seem mostly important as the engine continues to run. Is it an air intake valve or something? Its very difficult to figure out *scratches head* If anyone can shead some light on this it would be great :)
Last edited by XaNtHuS on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Woopidydoo!
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Re: New to nifty 50's etc. What the fork is this thing?

Post by ALOW1 »

XaNtHuS wrote:Okay. I'll probably upload pictures later if people have trouble figureing out what I'm trying to describe.

My scooter is registered as a 'nifty fifty' 1985 model. No real name like 'elite' or whatever so I'm not 100% as to what it is other than it IS a honda build
The Nifty 50 is the same a a Honda Spree, I don't know alot about the Spree's so I will let somebody else try to answer your question. But as far as I know the Nifty 50 is just another name that was used on the Spree's. I believe it would be a NQ50.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

SB50 and some US Elite 50 carbs have those tubes, but that said I have no idea what they are supposed to do either.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Ziraya
Spree
Spree

Post by Ziraya »

it doesn't really seem to fit there all that well

if you can, try to adjust the part you left it on to get rid of that kink
XaNtHuS
Noob
Noob

Post by XaNtHuS »

Even with the kink pressed out it doesnt do much different. The entire fact that the engine doesnt run at all rather than restricted. It has to be something to do with air flow... It still runs fine without it though so blegh.
Woopidydoo!
XaNtHuS
Noob
Noob

Post by XaNtHuS »

c'mon fellers theres gotta be someone out there that has some sort of idea.
Woopidydoo!
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

Is there a bystarter anywhere on that carb?

Almost looks to me like someone stuck that odd-shaped tube into the bystarter recess. Could this have been done because they bystarter was removed and this was just shoved in there to allow it to run????

The other tube would maybe just be the float bowl vent that was modded with the metal L connector. If you ever remove the carb you can tell because that tube would connect to a hole at the top of the float bowl.

Clive.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
dukemartini
Spree
Spree

Post by dukemartini »

I thought i read somewhere on this forum that nifty 50s have a manual choke, if so thats why its in the bystarter's usual spot
87 Honda Elite S-BASKET CASE PROJECT
88 Honda SB50P-sold but not forgotten