spree carb truth or myth

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

84 spree NQ50
Noob
Noob

spree carb truth or myth

Post by 84 spree NQ50 »

some dude i talked to at a autostore told me i'd have to adjust/tune my carb every ride due to weather. True? :?:
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

No, you might however between winter and summer. For winter use you just raise the needle a notch and turn the air screw(brass flashead with no exposed spring) in 1 turn (should be .5 turn form all they way in) and adjust idle stop appropriately.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Kenny is correct. Cold weather definitely has an effect on these small carbs. They must be adjusted accordingly but not every ride like that guy told you. I do not ride in the winter or when it gets below 50 degrees so I do not mess with the settings much.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

In today's auto parts store the average moron behind the counter gets sent to a two hour class and is now an expert, just ask him. One counter clown asked me if I indexed my plugs, expecting be to not know what it meant. My response was "Not since I quit car racing before you were born". They will tell you pretty much anything, just check with the people that actually ride or drive them before believing a thing they say.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
tru72
CB900F
CB900F

Post by tru72 »

if its not broken, dont fix it..
ride it first to see if there is any difference.
yes 2 strokes are pretty sensitive to climate, elevation conditions, but Dont fool with it until you know theres a problem. Im pretty sure when Honda designed them they didnt go thru each batch and adjust the carb because they were going to be sent in diffrent parts of the US.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Really, don't mess with it. Tuning lean to meet one condition can cause failure at another. Guys that run in the desert, where it's 110F during the day and 50F at night have to watch this.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

i can ride mine year round and not adjust it. But during the summer its 75 here and in the winter its 45. But if you lived somewhere that snows. youd have to adjust it for summer or winter
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

In Michigan we get 85* summers and -15* winters. Its the only state where your furnace AND your AC run in the same week.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Wisconsin is no slouch to summer and winter differences either. We are not called the frozen tundra for nothing! I would not even think about riding in the winter here, especially if we have another one like last year. Its scary because winter is not that far away. 45 degrees in the middle of winter just does not happen here.
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

hondaman wrote:Wisconsin is no slouch to summer and winter differences either. We are not called the frozen tundra for nothing! I would not even think about riding in the winter here, especially if we have another one like last year. Its scary because winter is not that far away. 45 degrees in the middle of winter just does not happen here.
nope, it has dipped to 45 already
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

days its not raining ill be riding my spree :P

i also don't get to play in the snow :(
and its still too cold for the beach in the summer
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

PimpinSpree wrote:days its not raining ill be riding my spree :P

Where do you live?
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

PimpinSpree wrote:days its not raining ill be riding my spree :P

If you want to play in the snow and cold come visit Wisconsin around December or January. It will be the last time you want to play. I gurantee it!
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

cold plug in the summer, hot one in winter just like the manual says, and a manual choke carbs like all my scoots have give instsant starts in any temp!
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!