help! - after running scooter wont even turn ON

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

xsh0rty
BMX
BMX

help! - after running scooter wont even turn ON

Post by xsh0rty »

ok so after a long day running around on my scooter, my last stop at 7-11 to buy some beer, i go back outside to my scooter, put the key to the ON position, and i notice my brake light doesnt turn on, scooter wont start.....

im not showing any signs of power.... i check my battery and its spitting out 12.7v - even try a backup battery, same thing..... did something come loose?!??! how in the * can my scooter loose power after a good 50 mile day!!?>!? im lost............
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Re: help! - after running scooter wont even turn ON

Post by CaptDan »

xsh0rty wrote:ok so after a long day running around on my scooter, did something come loose?!??! how in the * can my scooter loose power after a good 50 mile day!!?>!? im lost............
It's been asked before (and I've been guilty of this too), but you DID pull in the left brake lever, right?

If so, maybe the break safety switch that enables the starter circuit is messed up. Or a wire is broken/loose.

Sounds like a simple continuity problem; you have the juice, but for some reason it ain't flowin'.

CaptDan
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

You don't have to pull the brake lever in for the brake light to come on. Look for loose connections all over the bike, and check the fuses.
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

jstone wrote:You don't have to pull the brake lever in for the brake light to come on. Look for loose connections all over the bike, and check the fuses.
I'm not familiar with the Aero 50, but doesn't it have a starter-safety circuit activated by the left brake lever? In other words, don't you have to pull in the lever to enable the starter button?

Jus' askin'. :)

CaptDan
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Every spring my ignition switch doesn't want to function just like yours. Switching it on and off an dozen times or so usually makes it work again. I pull the switch, spray it with contact cleaner and it works the rest of the season. Then again you could have blown the fuse.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Here's some quicky tests:

1) Turn on ignition, check the tailight, turn on left/right turn signals
--- Got a light on anywhere? - IGN switch is ok, No lights at all - check fuse, check ignition switch. Still no light - start checking out connections and wires.

2) Watch your brake light, now pull the brake lever, it should get brighter, stop filament should light, and it's higher wattage than the taillight filament.

-- No Stop light - try the other brake lever. If you get a light, now hold that lever down, and try to crank.

There is not a unique switch for the starter/brake interlock. The high (non-grounded) side of the starter relay coil gets its power from the same line as the Brake Stop light. That's why we are checking out the Brake liight circuit. Also on the high side of the relay coi is the start button, see below.

3) If you have got a the brake light lighting up, and it still won't start, there's two places to check - start button, and the starter relay. If you have a multimeter, check those out.
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

CaptDan wrote:
jstone wrote:You don't have to pull the brake lever in for the brake light to come on. Look for loose connections all over the bike, and check the fuses.
I'm not familiar with the Aero 50, but doesn't it have a starter-safety circuit activated by the left brake lever? In other words, don't you have to pull in the lever to enable the starter button?

CaptDan

I didn't know he had an aero 50, but i still think its the same. You have to pull in the brake to START it, but he said his brake light doesn't even come on when he turns the key. I'm pretty sure the light comes on (not lit up like it does when you pull the lever) as soon as you turn the key on.

And after checking previous posts he has an 84 spree, not sure where you got the aero from lol.
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

jstone wrote:
CaptDan wrote:

CaptDan

I didn't know he had an aero 50, but i still think its the same. You have to pull in the brake to START it, but he said his brake light doesn't even come on when he turns the key. I'm pretty sure the light comes on (not lit up like it does when you pull the lever) as soon as you turn the key on.

And after checking previous posts he has an 84 spree, not sure where you got the aero from lol.
Woops! That's what's called a 'cross-threaded screw' - up. :lol:

CaptDan
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

So the brake light comes on without the brake lever pulled to apply the brakes? Not true, the tail light comes on when the key is turned on, but the brake light does not light until the brakes lever is pulled and the electric start doe not work without the brakes applied.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

Obviously. I said in a later post that it doesn't light up like it does when you pull the lever. I should have called it the tail light but wasn't thinking when i posted. But thats why i added that little bit to try and stop any confusion, guess it didn't work.