oil

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

Marine specific oil formulations are quite different than those specifically engineered for high performance moped applications, at least with certain brands of oils.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

CaptDan wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
CaptDan wrote:
According to the spud @ the Kawasaki shop, Castrol's the brew of choice recommended by Lambretta for their 2 strokers. Not sure if that's a ringing endorsement or not.

So, I'll use it for awhile, but as soon as GN2 comes in, I'm there.

BTW, that marine crap is favored heartily by my '57 Johnson 7.5 hp SeaWhore. She'll be happy to know my supply of Penn 'n Valvoline won't get devoured by Pasquale. :P

CaptDan
i know castrol is one of the brands most people use for premixing. but i dont know if its as good for the injector. :?
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
gitRdan69
Noob
Noob

Post by gitRdan69 »

Speaking of oil, in the manual when they say oil should "flow" from the oil outlet line, what constitutes a "flow". Also, where is the oil control lever and how do I ensure it is in the fully open position?...Pics?
Life's journey is not one to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting Holy s***...What a ride!!!
gitRdan69
Noob
Noob

Post by gitRdan69 »

Also, How fast will the dark stuff gum my intake etc up? Should i run the half tank I put in through, or dump it asap...?
Life's journey is not one to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting Holy s***...What a ride!!!
Arnadanoob
Spree
Spree

Post by Arnadanoob »

Flow would mean that it doesn't act like honey in the lines. As Tru72 said earlier, injector formulations are made to be thinner (less viscous) so it'd flow easier than premix. Premix formulations are made for when you mix it outside of the moped in a gas can and shaken up before it's used in the moped. Realistically a lot of us in Hawaii simply measure in the premix beforehand, then pour in the gas then shake the bike around a few times. If you're using the stock oil injector, it's very important to only use oils that says it's for moped injector application on the bottle.
Reliable and dependable tuning from 15+ years of experience.