Getting new-ringed piston back in

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

RockyMtnRoadRash
Noob
Noob

Getting new-ringed piston back in

Post by RockyMtnRoadRash »

So I got some new piston rings for my Elite E, but all I could find was the rings off a fiche for an Elite LX. The picture looked I-freaking-dentical so I figured what the * lets go for it.

The rings I got don't seem to want to seat into the piston enough to fit back up the cylinder. The width seems about right and I made sure the (insanely small and hard to see) marks are pointing up.

Am I doing something wrong or are there actually different pistons between the E and the LX?
If my girlfriend ever learns how much I've spent on the scooter, please remember me fondly and take care for my scooter.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

The elite E, IIRC is a spree engine, buy from a honda parts dealer to prevent such screwups.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

If the problem is that the rings are too long, just file the ends until they fit. If the rings are actually too thick to fit flush with the piston surface, you got the wrong rings. :roll:
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
veedubh20
CB900F
CB900F

Post by veedubh20 »

that no-no file rings :lol: just order another rings set spree/e are the same .
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

veedubh20 wrote:that no-no file rings :lol: just order another rings set spree/e are the same .
Since when did filing rings become a no-no? I did it on an couple of National Championship engines and on a couple of speed record setting engines.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Filing rings falls into the category of "OK if you know what you're doing." It is how you get the best seal for the condition of the bore.

Bear is right; technically you should be checking your ring clearance in the bore before installing them on the piston; you can file if it's too small or get the next size larger rings (and piston perhaps) if it's too large. How many guys actually do that?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
RockyMtnRoadRash
Noob
Noob

Post by RockyMtnRoadRash »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:The elite E, IIRC is a spree engine, buy from a honda parts dealer to prevent such screwups.
Yes, sometimes we dummies must learn the hard way. Thanks to all for the info.

Next week's lesson: Is your Vaccuum Petcock broken? How to be certain by getting gas all over the place.
If my girlfriend ever learns how much I've spent on the scooter, please remember me fondly and take care for my scooter.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

RockyMtnRoadRash wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote:The elite E, IIRC is a spree engine, buy from a honda parts dealer to prevent such screwups.
Yes, sometimes we dummies must learn the hard way. Thanks to all for the info.

Next week's lesson: Is your Vaccuum Petcock broken? How to be certain by getting gas all over the place.
LOL, just whip out a rag, gas cuts through engine block grime like a hot knife.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.