making a cleaner honda elite?? catalytic converter????

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

tree-truffle
Noob
Noob

making a cleaner honda elite?? catalytic converter????

Post by tree-truffle »

So I'm curious as to how I could possibly make my honda elite run a bit cleaner. Is there a catalytic converter mod out there that anyone knows of? I asked someone already and they said I should sell it and get a newer scooter with a cat conv from the factory..... buuuuttt I'm way too attached to my baby to just give her up like that. :)

please, any ideas or insight into how I could clean the trail of smoke I pump out.

thanks
SprEE*MP*
Spree
Spree

Post by SprEE*MP* »

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :lol: :lol: OH BOY!!!! You crack me up!!!

I'm sorry, but that's really funny, for the money that a catalytic converter would cost, just plant a few trees!!
-1984 Spree,
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

what type of oil are you using?

whatever it is i say dump it and go buy some honda brand "Gn2" oil. Honda Gn2 oil does not smoke hardly at all. It will be like a brand new scooter.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

Dac wrote:what type of oil are you using?

whatever it is i say dump it and go buy some honda brand "Gn2" oil. Honda Gn2 oil does not smoke hardly at all. It will be like a brand new scooter.
Thats what I'm saying, my Elite hardly smokes at all running GN2.
SprEE*MP*
Spree
Spree

Post by SprEE*MP* »

OR, plant a few trees :lol:
-1984 Spree,
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

First off what makes you think a catylic converter will make an engine run better? The short answer is it is government mandated and the manufacture do their best with it. But the converter never helps performance.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
tree-truffle
Noob
Noob

Post by tree-truffle »

I'll try the GN2, thanks! :)

The catalytic converter is responsible for converting much of the NO and CO exhaust.

As for performance, I could care less. I'd much rather have a cleaner running scooter. plus, I'm attached to my baby so there's no chance in turning her in to get a vespa or a ruckus, which have catalytic converters.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Bear45-70 wrote:First off what makes you think a catylic converter will make an engine run better? The short answer is it is government mandated and the manufacture do their best with it. But the converter never helps performance.
Yea, why the * do you think the delorean was such a slow car? It was pretty respectable before the EPA got their hands on one.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I almost hate to ask, but what state do you live in, that anyone would bring this up?

Remind your buddies that you're burning less gas than them, and thus saving hydrocarbons over their cars and trucks.

That said, there are very few 2-strokes on the market, and I don't know of any running cats. The Yamaha scoots are still sold here and may run them, not sure, but I doubt it. Euro models may have mandated this by now.

If you want, you could order a 50cc muffler with cat from one of those scoots and have a bike shop / fabricator weld it to fit your bike. It will be expensive and your bike will undoubtably run worse. But you can weigh that against your idealism, or selling your scoot to buy one with cat.

You could always ride a bicycle; you'll never match that carbon footprint with any scooter. I did that for years; saves a lot of money on insurance and gas.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:First off what makes you think a catylic converter will make an engine run better? The short answer is it is government mandated and the manufacture do their best with it. But the converter never helps performance.
Yea, why the * do you think the delorean was such a slow car? It was pretty respectable before the EPA got their hands on one.
You can do amazing thing even with a cat. But I guarantee you the cat did not help the performance. They can't make a cat that does not restrict the flow of exhaust, otherwise they won't work. * you want free horsepower, gut the cat and reinstall the empty can. Instant 5 to 15 horsepower depending on the rest of the exhaust system. We gutted the cats and installed a straight thru pipe in the cat cans (yeah there are 2 of them) on my 1993 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. 25 horse power over a stock run on the dyno. Cats are emission stuff mandated by the government. When is the last time the government did anything to help the people or anything right for that matter?
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Bear45-70 wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote:
You can do amazing thing even with a cat. But I guarantee you the cat did not help the performance. They can't make a cat that does not restrict the flow of exhaust, otherwise they won't work. * you want free horsepower, gut the cat and reinstall the empty can. Instant 5 to 15 horsepower depending on the rest of the exhaust system. We gutted the cats and installed a straight thru pipe in the cat cans (yeah there are 2 of them) on my 1993 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. 25 horse power over a stock run on the dyno. Cats are emission stuff mandated by the government. When is the last time the government did anything to help the people or anything right for that matter?
Been a good 60 years at least.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
tree-truffle
Noob
Noob

Post by tree-truffle »

When is the last time the government did anything to help the people or anything right for that matter?
While I agree concerning many affairs the government gets involved in, I can't help but disagree when it comes to the environment. Seriously, don't be ignorant, this present administration has been advocating ignorance for too long. As sad and crippling bureaucracies tend to be, the government is the only medium that can consistently instill a beneficial or detrimental grass-roots philosophy that will affect the world for the future. Educational or environmental, the government can lay the ultimate hammer down.

noiseguy,
I'm from Florida. I understand I burn significantly less fuel than any car (I fill up once a month), but that doesn't mean I can't try and clean up the raw emissions I put out.

Some background info... I work in a lab testing the effects of environmental contaminants. So, to me, a fast, high performance ego stroking means of conveyance means very little. But I'm a bit too lazy and loaded with work, at least right now, to make the switch with the places I have to commute to.
Diesel Spree
BMX
BMX

Post by Diesel Spree »

im sure you could rig something up but u could only go like 15mph and if it had one i bould blow it out with the tourch
if it dont smoke its broke
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

You're always so off topic. If you would stop and read a post every now and then rather than worry about what smart-* comment you can make, you might make more sense. He never said he thought it would run "better". He just wanted cleaner.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

jstone wrote:
You're always so off topic. If you would stop and read a post every now and then rather than worry about what smart-* comment you can make, you might make more sense. He never said he thought it would run "better". He just wanted cleaner.
Only a moron would add a cat to an engine that it is not required to have one and only a moron would support such an idea. How's that for reading and responding to your post?
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree