Red spray paint?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Slow
Noob
Noob

Red spray paint?

Post by Slow »

This is my first post. I have an 86 Spree. The front plastics look like they will polish out pretty well, but the rear covers are down to the yellow plastic in places. I was wondering if anyone knows of a spray paint that matches the original Honda red?

Yes I used the search function. No I didn't find it.

Thanks
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Re: Red spray paint?

Post by GIJoeBob »

Slow wrote:This is my first post. I have an 86 Spree. The front plastics look like they will polish out pretty well, but the rear covers are down to the yellow plastic in places. I was wondering if anyone knows of a spray paint that matches the original Honda red?

Yes I used the search function. No I didn't find it.

Thanks
The Honda color code should be on the top of the gas tank.
Slow
Noob
Noob

Post by Slow »

Yes it is. This does not help with my question. I could use this code to have a custom color mixed at the autobody paint supply store, buy a spray gun and connect it to my compressor and shoot the bodywork.

Let me try again. Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf, Duplicolor or Krylon or other major brand of spray can paint that matches the Honda red? They come with names like "Brite Red", but there are so many shades of "red", I was hoping someone had found a match.

Thanks.
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

Slow wrote:
but there are so many shades of "red", I was hoping someone had found a match.

Thanks.
I don't have the links handy, but there are online paint color sources which use the Pantone color system. By using one of the bike's good body panels as color reference, you can sort through the various shades of red and be able to cross reference to the right one.

Since red is a primary color, the modifying hues are black, white and and to a lesser extent - yellow. Each of those added in small amounts results in the various red shades across the spectrum.

Or, you can take a panel to an autobody shop, have 'em match it, then sell you a batch of paint.

Good luck.

CaptDan
Slow
Noob
Noob

Post by Slow »

I just bought Krylon for Plastic. The only shade of red they make. Pretty close match. Unfortunately, they say it requires no prep or primer. I wiped it down with thinner to make sure it was clean. Paint didn't stick in some places. I did the floorboard (badly faded) and the headlight shroud (worn through in places). I still have to get the decals off. I will probably primer the panels before painting them.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Slow wrote:Yes it is. This does not help with my question. I could use this code to have a custom color mixed at the autobody paint supply store, buy a spray gun and connect it to my compressor and shoot the bodywork.

Let me try again. Does anyone know of an off-the-shelf, Duplicolor or Krylon or other major brand of spray can paint that matches the Honda red? They come with names like "Brite Red", but there are so many shades of "red", I was hoping someone had found a match.

Thanks.
I have some paint that was mixed for my Spree. I just used a touch up bottle to apply it as I didn't have entire panels to do. I bet I have about a pint or so. You interested in that?
Slow
Noob
Noob

Post by Slow »

No thanks. I'll try the hardware store or auto parts store again.
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

Slow wrote:Yes it is. This does not help with my question. I could use this code to have a custom color mixed at the autobody paint supply store

There is your answer right there.

Go have the paint mixed and then have them put it in an aerosol can for you. Cost? its cheap, my local auto paint store does is for about $12.00 a can, I believe our local Napa and Oreillys can also do it.
Slow
Noob
Noob

Post by Slow »

I didn't know they could do that. Thanks!
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

You can also have the paint custom mixed and then use a Preval sprayer. I found the Preval actually sprays better than most cans.

http://store.fastcommerce.com/prod_Pain ... a6bf5.html

Many auto specialty paint stores sell these - even my local Home Depot had them.

Since you fill it yourself, it has the advantage that it can be used with 2-part epoxy or urethane paints.

Clive.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Slow wrote:I just bought Krylon for Plastic. The only shade of red they make. Pretty close match. Unfortunately, they say it requires no prep or primer. I wiped it down with thinner to make sure it was clean. Paint didn't stick in some places. I did the floorboard (badly faded) and the headlight shroud (worn through in places). I still have to get the decals off. I will probably primer the panels before painting them.
No prep required? Ha! Read the directions on the can, or even better buy a can of commercially available plastic prep from an auto paint store. I used Fusion paint on my scoot and it'd adhered really well. Prep is key.

I used build primer anyway and sanded to get out the panel scratches.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Slow
Noob
Noob

Post by Slow »

Even Krylon's primer was getting weird. Speaking of weird, I'm typing this from your neighborhood. About a mile from XNA airport. Anyway, I'll play with it some more this weekend when I get back home.

There are some Sprees on my local Craigslist I may have to look at. One is willing to trade it for labor on an Elite! Could be fun.
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

Slow wrote:I didn't know they could do that. Thanks!
No problem 8)