making a cleaner honda elite?? catalytic converter????

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

tree-truffle
Noob
Noob

Post by tree-truffle »

im sure you could rig something up but u could only go like 15mph and if it had one i bould blow it out with the tourch
That's what I thought(well maybe not to the extent of 15mph). I had to ask though. There's always someone who's heard, tried, or knows something that is completely out of the norm, but I guess in this case I should go for the change in oil and clean the exhaust. When you say torch, you're talking about cleaning the exhaust, right?

Only a moron would add a cat to an engine that it is not required to have one and only a moron would support such an idea. How's that for reading and responding to your post?
Do you have a pulse?
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

tree-truffle wrote:
im sure you could rig something up but u could only go like 15mph and if it had one i bould blow it out with the tourch
That's what I thought(well maybe not to the extent of 15mph). I had to ask though. There's always someone who's heard, tried, or knows something that is completely out of the norm, but I guess in this case I should go for the change in oil and clean the exhaust. When you say torch, you're talking about cleaning the exhaust, right?

Only a moron would add a cat to an engine that it is not required to have one and only a moron would support such an idea. How's that for reading and responding to your post?
Do you have a pulse?
Yeah and I can still reason too. Cats are a bad thing, at best.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

Bear45-70 wrote:
jstone wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:First off what makes you think a catylic converter will make an engine run better? The short answer is it is government mandated and the manufacture do their best with it. But the converter never helps performance.
You're always so off topic. If you would stop and read a post every now and then rather than worry about what smart-* comment you can make, you might make more sense. He never said he thought it would run "better". He just wanted cleaner.

Are you implying that I was supporting the idea? Because if you are then this is getting out of hand, you really need to learn to pay attention.
Dac
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Dac »

im not taking sides here, but i will say its kinda ridiculous that you are calling tree-truffle a moron for wanting to burn cleaner.

To each there own, personally i dont see what one spree is going to do when there is so much else going on in the world. but that doesn't mean i should insult tree-truffle for believe in a better world.
"Its not what you ride, its that you ride"
1996--------Honda Elite S-
1991--------Tomos Targa-
And a Bunch of other bikes.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Dac wrote:im not taking sides here, but i will say its kinda ridiculous that you are calling tree-truffle a moron for wanting to burn cleaner.

To each there own, personally i dont see what one spree is going to do when there is so much else going on in the world. but that doesn't mean i should insult tree-truffle for believe in a better world.
Well first off a cat will not work on a two stroke due to the unburned oil in the exhaust. The oil will coat everything in the cat and do worse than a non-cat would.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

You guys are funny. Back on topic:

1) I'm sure there are 2-strokes with cats, but I couldn't name one.
2) You could probably rig one up if you found one and really wanted to do it.
3) It will run slower but should run cleaner.
4) You may need to experiment with your jetting and oil type / volume to get it to run right after you're done. You may also need to clean it periodically.

Really, 2-strokes are *not* environmentally friendly. They are all burning oil at the end of the day, and besides release unburned gasoline hydrocarbons due to inefficiency at the varied operating conditions. Your best bet, for environmental friendlyness, is a 4-stroke with cat.

I asked "what state" b/c I grew up in Washington St, and this reminded me of some of the local attitude regarding anything internal combustion.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

noiseguy wrote:You guys are funny. Back on topic:

4) You may need to experiment with your jetting and oil type / volume to get it to run right after you're done. You may also need to clean it periodically.

Really, 2-strokes are *not* environmentally friendly. They are all burning oil at the end of the day, and besides release unburned gasoline hydrocarbons due to inefficiency at the varied operating conditions. Your best bet, for environmental friendlyness, is a 4-stroke with cat.

I asked "what state" b/c I grew up in Washington St, and this reminded me of some of the local attitude regarding anything internal combustion.
I agree with everything except the cat with a 2 stroke. If it could be done don't you think the outboard manufactures would have don't it rather than go to the heavier 4 strokes for all their small engines? The big engines got the direct injection so the raw fuel and oil out the exhaust went away. But the small engine were too inexpensive to use direct injection. Raw fuel and oil out the exhaust into a cat destroys the cat's ability to function. It covers all the little pellets in the cat and isolates them from the exhaust gases.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Bear45-70 wrote:
noiseguy wrote:You guys are funny. Back on topic:

I agree with everything except the cat with a 2 stroke. If it could be done don't you think the outboard manufactures would have don't it rather than go to the heavier 4 strokes for all their small engines? The big engines got the direct injection so the raw fuel and oil out the exhaust went away. But the small engine were too inexpensive to use direct injection. Raw fuel and oil out the exhaust into a cat destroys the cat's ability to function. It covers all the little pellets in the cat and isolates them from the exhaust gases.
Seeing as Bear has been doing this longer than most of us have been alive, I have to agree with him.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

Bear45-70 wrote:
Dac wrote:im not taking sides here, but i will say its kinda ridiculous that you are calling tree-truffle a moron for wanting to burn cleaner.

Well first off a cat will not work on a two stroke due to the unburned oil in the exhaust. The oil will coat everything in the cat and do worse than a non-cat would.
Actually your wrong, a catalytic converter will work on a 2 stroke, furthermore there are companies that sell 2 strokes that have cat systems on them.

Ever heard of Aprilia? I'm sure most folks here have. Aprilia sells bikes with 2 strokes and cats. Heres an example:

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/mot ... 26703.html

The Aprilia DiTech is one of the most advanced 2 strokes made, read up on how clean it is on emissions:

http://www.speed-sports.com/motorscoote ... itech.html
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

ALOW1 wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote:

Actually your wrong, a catalytic converter will work on a 2 stroke, furthermore there are companies that sell 2 strokes that have cat systems on them.

Ever heard of Aprilia? I'm sure most folks here have. Aprilia sells bikes with 2 strokes and cats. Heres an example:

The Aprilia DiTech is one of the most advanced 2 strokes made, read up on how clean it is on emissions:

These are directed injected 2 strokes just like the marine manufactures went with for the 70 horse and bigger engines and they did it without a cat. So this isn't all that great. There is about 200 to 1 oil in the fuel and there is a seperate oiling system along the lines of a 4 stroke. So you still can't add a cat to and old style 2 stroke. Too much oil in the fuel.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

Just put this sticker on your scoot-
Available here. I put one on my Mitsubishi Montero and I feel so much better about myself now. :lol:
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Direct injection with direct oiling? That's the detail I was looking for; I know they've added cats to 2-strokes but wasn't sure if these were "oil in fuel mix" models or something more advanced. Cats block and foul easily; not sure how the 2-stroke bricks would keep clean.

I agree on the overall cat discussion re power; we used to throw straight pipes where the cats were; this with a larger exhaust system was good for a 10-15% HP increase on cars built in the 80's. Probably still helps.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »

Bear45-70 wrote:
ALOW1 wrote:
Bear45-70 wrote: Well first off a cat will not work on a two stroke due to the unburned oil in the exhaust. The oil will coat everything in the cat and do worse than a non-cat would.

These are directed injected 2 strokes just like the marine manufactures went with for the 70 horse and bigger engines and they did it without a cat. So this isn't all that great. There is about 200 to 1 oil in the fuel and there is a seperate oiling system along the lines of a 4 stroke. So you still can't add a cat to and old style 2 stroke. Too much oil in the fuel.
First you say that a cat will not work on a 2 stroke motor, so I show you some examples of them. I went with Aprilia because they make scooters and well its a scooter forum.

Now your all like well those are DI (directed injection), which is true but yet they are still 2 strokes.

Now your saying that you cant add a cat to an old style 2 stroke. Yamaha was running cats on their motorcycles in the early 80's. The Kenny Roberts RZ350's had cats on them.

Do some research, there are many many 2 strokes out there that have cats on them.
Slow
Noob
Noob

Post by Slow »

ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Post by ALOW1 »