Muffler Composition

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

starsnbars
Goped
Goped

Muffler Composition

Post by starsnbars »

Does anyone know if the mufflers for the sprees had insulation packing inside them, or is it all just metal perf tubing and baffles? I am asking this because I am cleaning out my muffler and I am getting black chunks to come out, but they are soft and seem like strands of carbon fiber. If there is some sort of insulation, would liquid draino deteriorate this material?
KillinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by KillinSpree »

How are you cleaning it cause i need to do the same thing to my 85 spree muffler?
starsnbars
Goped
Goped

Post by starsnbars »

well i usually grill the muffler, but I don't have access to one right now so I plugged one end of the muffler with a cork and filled it with draino and hot water and let it sit over night. I flushed it with hot water and then use an air compressor to blow air through it to make sure all the water is out and that you're getting good air flow. It still feels pretty heavy so I might take a propane torch to it just to make sure all the water is evaporated.
jstone
Elite
Elite

Post by jstone »

Its just metal, no insulation. What you're getting out is carbon, but its just build up.
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

How long do you leave it on the grill or campfire for?
CaptDan
Elite
Elite

Post by CaptDan »

jstone wrote:Its just metal, no insulation. What you're getting out is carbon, but its just build up.
Here's what I did:

I removed the muffler, tapped it all around with a rubber mallet, then shook it like I was making a *. A whole bunch of pieces fell out.

Next, I took a LONG-* nail (12") and poked around in the muffler's innards. Then I tapped and shook some more. The muffler vomited out even more of those ugly crap-patties.

I repeated the above for about an hour. Afterwards, I had a pile of nasty-cookies to give the poor li'll chillun' on Halloween. :shock:

{I was just kidding about that last item. :twisted: }

CaptDan