Need ideas on a bogging out engine!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

zilerobe
Noob
Noob

Need ideas on a bogging out engine!

Post by zilerobe »

I have a 98 Honda Elite sa50. I bought it early in the summer and have been riding it without problems thus far. Since i have had it, it has always had smoky exhaust. It came with a full tank of gas and full reservoir of oil. As i went through tank of gas after tank of gas, the oil light never came on. fed up, I inspected the reservoir and found it to be bone dry. I immediately put GN2 oil in it and thought I would be ok. (not sure if this actually contributes to the problem at hand but thought some background would help)

Recently-she hasn't been running all that strong. I can start it up, leave it idle and even gradually give it gas almost to wot without issue. However, with a quick blurp of the gas or wot, it boggs down almost to death. If I let off soon enough, I can stop it from dying. Ive taken the carb apart multiple times cleaning it thoroughly (so i think). I also took apart the top end looking for something to jump out at me but as of now nothing seems bad with the exception of a somewhat heavily carbonated piston.

I need some help! My only idea is that it could use a new top end. I live at school now and as soon as I get home I'll get a compression read (i dont have a gauge here). If anyone knows what is wrong or has had this problem before or is having this problem right now by all means share your knowledge with me! I HATE NOT HAVING A MOPED TO RIDE!

Thanks in Advance everybody. This is an amazing site!
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Air leak? hows the air filter?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
zilerobe
Noob
Noob

Post by zilerobe »

No leak to speak of. I cleaned the air filter a little after I bought it ~2 months ago and everything looked and was great. I just went and double checked but I cant seem to find anything. unless Im not looking in the right place. any known troublesome areas?
beefy
BMX
BMX

Post by beefy »

try taking a dremil tool with a wire wheel on it and clean all of the carbon you can out of that thing, out of the ports and manifold every thing even clean out the exaust pipe as much as you can with out damaging anything and if you can afford it put on some new rings on the piston I think there pretty cheap I don't know a whole bunch about them but if i was you thats what I'd try. On 2 strokes that makes a big difference also might help a lot of these guys to know how many miles are on the bike
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Richen up the air screw a 1/4 to 1/2 turn.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
zilerobe
Noob
Noob

Post by zilerobe »

Stopping by my dads garage later today. will pick up a gauge and see what the compression is. i spent a day last week tinkering with the carburetor after i cleaned it out. I couldnt get any symptoms to go away. I have a feeling that the rings need to be replaced, in which case ill do the piston as well. Either way-ill keep you guys updated. BTW-about 1700 miles on the bike.
Clivester
Elite
Elite

Post by Clivester »

I'd say the compression test is the most critical thing to do here. If the compression looks OK I'd go with Kenny's suggestion that you most likely have an air supply/leak issue. Do you have a stock airbox, and is the air filter oiled?

If you recently installed an inline fuel filter that could cause similar symptoms. Check for sufficient fuel flow and tank venting.

Clive.
Lambretta TV-175 (wish I'd never sold it!)
2005 Vento Phantom R4i 125cc (stolen)
1986 Yamaha XC180 Riva
1985 Honda CH150D Elite
1988 Honda SA50 LX Elite
1989 Honda SB50
2007 iScooter 150cc
2006 Roketa 150cc
2006 TNG Venice 50cc
monkeywrench
Spree
Spree

Post by monkeywrench »

ok id say it midly heat seazed do to no oil. still has compression but low do to it still starts up. usually when it doesnt start with the starter but starts with the kick start its the rings. take the seat bucket off pull the cylinder off put rings on then your done.  oh yah make shore you hone your cylinder before installing for maximum performance. for the cheapest way to do that is two stroke oil and scotch brite pad. take a long screw driver and rap the pad around the screw driver tight. then putt to the wall off the cylinder. put a 20 degree circular motion from the top off the jug to the bottom and then from the bottom to top. do this severall times untill you get nice little hone marks crisscrossing through the hole cylinder. it works great. p.s. start with a brand new scotch pad for best resoults.     
here kitty kitty kitty
http://www.youtube.com/warmonkey80
SprEE*MP*
Spree
Spree

Post by SprEE*MP* »

Could also be over fueling. Mine did that. Make sure you put the float back together properly.
-1984 Spree,