you guys are beyond super smart

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

timcat
Elite
Elite

you guys are beyond super smart

Post by timcat »

i know its only like 10 outside but i put a exaust from an 87 spree and the reeds and now theres no power los at wot in fact it hit 25 in half a block and kept feeling like it was gonna do at least 30 maby more :P but its too icy out for me to die trying lol
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

i just want to know how a snowmobile starts up at -20 :shock: and arctic cat makes a 1000cc 2 stroke, i like big azz 2 stroke engines...
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!
timcat
Elite
Elite

Post by timcat »

it just does :shock:
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

maddog wrote:i just want to know how a snowmobile starts up at -20 :shock: and arctic cat makes a 1000cc 2 stroke, i like big azz 2 stroke engines...
Magic * touch, I can make anything run at -20* It isnt hard.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
timcat
Elite
Elite

Post by timcat »

try having it inside a heated garrage but id say try sprayong straight gsa in the carb hold it wide open 1 maby 2 sprays it should work but you will flood it if you dont know what your doing. any way this place is for honda scooters who the * cares about a snow machine
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Dont need a heated garage, dont need to spray it with gas. Choke it pull slowly to prime a few times, give it a rip, if it isnt running second or third try ITS OUT OF TUNE! This goes for any 2 stroke, 4 strokes tend to like a block heater, too hard to turn over with solidified oil.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:Dont need a heated garage, dont need to spray it with gas. Choke it pull slowly to prime a few times, give it a rip, if it isnt running second or third try ITS OUT OF TUNE! This goes for any 2 stroke, 4 strokes tend to like a block heater, too hard to turn over with solidified oil.
Very well put!Image
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree
Wheelman-111

Mis-spent Youth

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

"Super-Smart" :?: High praise indeed, but wisdom comes from experience:

I (mis-)spent my winters in Quebec riding first-generation snowmobiles. Engines with names like Sachs, Koehler, Canadian Curtis-Wright and Rotax. They almost invariably slept outside. Minus thirty (-30) degrees Farenheit was not an uncommon winter temperature. Batteries?! We didn't have no steenkin' Batteries! (Except for the sissy-boy who lived across the lake - his grandmother's Skiroule was electric-start...) :oops: Below -20, he had to pull the rope like everyone else.

Tillotson carbs had manly CHOKEs :!: not enricheners. On a particularly cold day you could stuff a rag into the intake trumpet to get it going - no filters needed in winter. The starting ritual developed my juvenile right bicep to where it just about doubled the size of my left. From dead cold, it could take 20 pulls on the starter handle or more. Morning workout :!:

The engines almost always started. From there, careful choke management was needed to keep it going without the dreaded flooding. We learned. The biggest barrier to translating internal combustion into forward motion was in getting the frozen track to rotate with a boggy-lean cold engine. Burned a lot of belt rubber over the years... The "clutch" was the drive pulley itself. The smells linger vividly in what's left of my memory.

Thus was born my affinity for the 2-stroke Honda. Call me a geezer, but I do sometimes wish the bystarter was manually controlled.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
SprEE*MP*
Spree
Spree

Post by SprEE*MP* »

Call me a geezer, but I do sometimes wish the bystarter was manually controlled.

I'm with you.
-1984 Spree,
timcat
Elite
Elite

Post by timcat »

i think i hate the bystarter
Bear45-70
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Bear45-70 »

Choke butterflies screw up the air flow thru the carb. That's why enricheners came into being. On some of my race engines that had choke butterflies, I removed then and added an enrichener. Properly set up, I got better cold starts and high top speeds. I have applied this enrichener stuff to several of my play outboards with much success. Off course these are set up to dump the fuel into the intake after the carb and are not apart of the carb. However, I have never had a problem with my bystarter. If I do, I will be disconnected the bystarter and I will add a Johnson outboard enrichener.
Bear 45/70

'83 Aero 80 X 3
'84 Aero 80 X 3

'85 Aero 80
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'84 Aero 125
'84 Aero 125 X 2
'85 Aero 50
'85 Spree