No Power.....can't figure out....please help!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

The clutch is the same except for the number of spring loaded plates (2 vs 3). It is a direct replacement. If the hub sits out further than the old one, you aren't getting it tight to the driveshaft. Check for spacers etc. Also check for a good alignment on the splines. Make sure they're clean and don't have something keeping the clutch from sliding all the way on the shaft.
Let us know.....
Scoot safely
jthom152
Noob
Noob

Post by jthom152 »

I cannot find any signs of spacers or anything. The new clutch slides right on tight to the drive shaft with no obstructions. Once the LHS is put back on, there is a noticable rubbing......very significant. I will take one last look but so far not sure what is causing the rubbing
jthom152
Noob
Noob

Post by jthom152 »

Well, I got the clutch to stop binding on the outer cover. Now the engine won't wind out and it is getting frustrating. Also, the back tire will not stop spinning. It appears that the clutch is constantly engaged, even when I set the idle almost down to nothing it still spins. I just don't know what to check anymore....I am so confused. If anyone has any pointers I could really use them. My patience is running a little thin I think

Thanks again!
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

What did you do to get the clutch from rubbing on the cover?
With the engine OFF and the bike on the stand, turn the rear tire by hand. Is the belt rotating also when you do this? If it is, then the clutch is not installed properly. The outer clutch housing should rotate freely. Take the belt back off. Make sure that you can hold the outer clutch hub and spin it without the rear wheel turning. If it does rotate freely then you are installing the belt improperly. When putting the belt on, wedge the rear plates apart and slide the belt into the groove as far as it will go. Reassemble the front hub with the belt centered. Make sure you get the front outer hub aligned with the splines on the crankshaft. Check the width on the belt also. If worn, it shouldn't bind on anything but should be on the outer part of the rear halves when idling or not rotating. Make sure the 'V' of the belt is to the inside of the belt. I can't picture putting it together wrong, but there is always the possibility.
Keep us informed.
Scoot safely
jthom152
Noob
Noob

Post by jthom152 »

Well I took the clutch off and put it back on and this time it seemed alright with no rubbing so I am guessing it was my install problem. When I spin the back tire, the belt does not move, just the outer hub does as it should. That's why I do not understand why it is spinning at idle. It makes no sense. I am thinking of starting it with the cover off so I can see all the stuff in action. Is this smart? I figure than I could see why the belt is grabbing. The belt is in great shape and is properly aligned in the pulley. Not sure what I might be missing to let you in on, but this is what I have tried. I just don't understand where all the power went all of a sudden. Great spark, good compression, decarbonized, followed the carb cleaning to a tee, all the good stuff. I am totally confused. It is just odd. Even put in a fresh tank of gas cause I have seen very rare occasions of a bad tank of gas believe it or not. Just at a loss for solutions. I hope I am not irritating anybody on this forum, just trying to figure this little guy out! Thanks again for absolutely everything!
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

if the tire is off the ground and it spins at idle it is pretty normal. when the tire is spinning at idle and you hit the rear brake the tire should stop and not stall the eng. if the eng. stalls then you have some binding.
Jerry
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Jerry »

Are you setting the idle with a tach or just by ear. If it slows enough where it wants to stall and the rear tire is spinning try applying the rear brake and see if it makes a difference in the idle speed. It shouldn't. If it does load the engine, the problem is most likely in the tranny, if you're absolutely positive the clutch and belt is installed properly.
Scoot safely