How do I charge my Spree's battery?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

i was just at walmart today, and their floating motorcycle charger is 20 bucks. Quite affordable for me. Do you need to tend batteries if you disconnect them from the scooter and leave them in 70 degree basement?
Yes - A battery tender or float charger is much preferable for battery life than having a dead or near dead battery in the spring and *then* giving a charge.

Disconnected the batteries still lose charge. Self discharge increases with temperature. I saw somewhere a quote for around 15% per month at 80F.
keithw
Elite
Elite

Post by keithw »

steffen707 wrote:i was just at walmart today, and their floating motorcycle charger is 20 bucks. Quite affordable for me. Do you need to tend batteries if you disconnect them from the scooter and leave them in 70 degree basement?
A fully charged battery in a 70 degree basement should need very little attention. An hour or so on the charger every few weeks should do it.

Another trick is to use one of those clockwork lamp timers. Set it so the charger comes on for one hour a day. This will keep the battery topped off with little chance for damage.

keithw
Honda Pal (Speed-o-scooter) JDM Spree with varator trans.
Honda Spree, 1985.
Another Honda Pal

Let's give it a try, how hard could it be?
steffen707
Elite
Elite

Post by steffen707 »

keithw wrote:
steffen707 wrote:i was just at walmart today, and their floating motorcycle charger is 20 bucks. Quite affordable for me. Do you need to tend batteries if you disconnect them from the scooter and leave them in 70 degree basement?
A fully charged battery in a 70 degree basement should need very little attention. An hour or so on the charger every few weeks should do it.

Another trick is to use one of those clockwork lamp timers. Set it so the charger comes on for one hour a day. This will keep the battery topped off with little chance for damage.

keithw
Now that is an excellent idea.
87 Honda Spree,
XX Yamaha YSR50
92 Yamaha Jog -> Stock.
05 Kymco Super 9-> My cruiser
xx Honda Gyro -> Man I gotta fix that.
98 Honda Elite S -> corsa, pg long, 24mm oko, ct chrome, ZX trans w/ ruckus variator, trailtech vapor gauges
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

I like the idea of a timer, but consider getting the wall wart voltage under control. I measured some around, one labeled 12v measured 17.8, a 10v measured 14.9. The battery will drag voltage down, *but* will be in overcharge once the first couple hours are completed. Overcharge damages a battery as well as undercharge, so it is avoided in commercial designs. With a wide variance in wall warts, do we have enough information to determine 1hr/day is acceptable?

Improvement Idea:
1) Find a timer that will run less frequently and for a lower duration. Something like a sprinkeler timer could get to 1/week or ever 1 every 2 weeks for a couple minutes.

2) Test your wall warts with a meter, and select one with a voltage around 14-14.4v. Most wall warts are not regulated at all. This is going to mean ac line voltage will be a factor. Finding 'xyz' network wart is close will be way off if someone else's AC line voltage is 10% different than yours.

----------

Now a look at what it takes to add regulation:
I'm came up with an example low cost voltage regulator. Nothing special, a regulator chip, in a regulator circuit! A preliminary parts cost is around $3.00, without the wall wart cost. From this base its easy to add a float setting too, and eliminate the external 'lamp timer'. If anyone wants to actually build one, I'm happy to post the circuit in its final form.

I worked for a time performing failure analysis of lead acid batteries, charge system and in-battery pcb failures. There was no shortcut to good life. Charger needs to operate within manufacture's charging guidelines, charge times followed and prompt recharge is important.

If interested enough to think of maintenance charging, my opinion is to start out with a charger set for the proper voltage. If you look at commercial battery maintainers, this is not an original opinion :wink: