Stator troubles

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Salvatore
Noob
Noob

Stator troubles

Post by Salvatore »

Hello,
While working on my Aero i accidentily severed one wire in on one of the "spools" on the stator by spinning the metal cover with the fan screws too far in. I havent tried seeing if it still works because i was wondering what i could do to fix it while its still apart and out of the frame. Can the wire be soldered or can i buy some wire and rewrap the stator. I looked online and at Babbitts its $80+ and unavailable.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
1981 Honda C70
1985 Honda Aero50
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Ouch! yeah, its easy to have that accident, only happens once!

In my opinion its easier to get a used stator and swap it out. Check eBay and such, I've got them for under $30.

Maybe you can scape the wire ends and solder a bridge over the severed wire. Use a hot iron, and do it quickly. Hot iron will let less heat spread out into the wire and coil, limiting damage potential. For a small break like that you can use a thinner gauge wire for the bridge, it should make soldering easier.

Downside: The coils are impregnated with something - varnish? That will melt smoke & smell bad - as can the insulation on the wire at soldering temperatures. You could end up with a shorted coil immediately or a failure after the repair. I recall coil wire insulation is 'designed' to melt at soldering temp. Production shops used to dip cut wire ends into a solder pot to strip the insulation. Much faster than scraping or sanding the varnish off.