Spree Not Starting!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

cody_maasen
Noob
Noob

Spree Not Starting!

Post by cody_maasen »

So I've done what I can so far and Still cant get my spree running. This is my 2nd spree that ive got up and running from scratch but I just cant get this one to fire.
Heres what i've done.
- Cleaned carb, numerous times, carb is getting gas
- Checked reeed valve - fine
- Spark Plug - getting spark and have replaced with new plug
- Replaced rings and piston
- Spark plug is getting wet smells of gas
- wont start of starter fluid.

Any ideas?
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

wet plug is indicative of flooding. clean and dry the plug, and kick it over a few times to clean it out. engines need 3 things to run, air, gas, and spark, youve got em all, maybe too much is the problem!
cody_maasen
Noob
Noob

Post by cody_maasen »

Yeah I pulled off the air intake and gas poured from where the black tube comes in. I'm going to pull the carb and clean it again.
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

sounds like the float is stuck or not sealing
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

yup, there's a neat article about re-surfacing the float-valve seat in the tech documents somewhere...involves Colgate. That might help ya. Definitely sounds like your float valve isn't working correctly. May need to replace it.
1986 Honda Spree - Running amazing.....body work still needs to be done, but that's a Spring job.
Wheelman-111

Stuck Float

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Search "minty-fresh".
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
cody_maasen
Noob
Noob

Post by cody_maasen »

So since I thought it was the carb I went and switched the bystarter and carb off my good running spree and put it on the scooter. Still wont start! Has spark. Has compression. Something I just rememebered however was that when I got the engine for this scooter the black piece/part (dont know name of it ) below the magneto/cdi was bent up so it was blocking the peice from turning around correctly. I bent it back down. Could I have bent it to far and changed the ignition timing. I have an extra one I just dont want to replace it if its nothing to worry about.
cody_maasen
Noob
Noob

Post by cody_maasen »

So I decided to go ahead and swap out the CDI unit. I also switched out the spark plug. Great spark. Still no start! *?

On another note. I am thinking the guy who had this before me did a head swap. Would this cause probelms as well?
wannabie
Noob
Noob

getting it started

Post by wannabie »

I 've two areo that doesn't start. I have the same thing going on getting spark air and fuel. I havn't check the reed valves yet on both. the year before last the one that I was riding kind of got hard to start. And I knew that when I got it out of storage that it wasn't going to start. just don't know for sure what to do. the other one I bought for my wife and it wasn't running when I got it. So if you get yours going let me know so that I will check it on both of mine