Honda Elite Starting/Electrical Problem?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

thesavge
Noob
Noob

Honda Elite Starting/Electrical Problem?

Post by thesavge »

So, my friend and i bought this scooter for cheap, as it wasnt running. we jumped it from a car battery, as the battery was dead, and the starter motor turned over. It wouldn't start. after looking on here, we determined the carb needed cleaning. it sure did, and so we cleaned it out. after putting the carb back on, and hooking up the car battery like before, now the starter wont even turn over. there are no sounds of relays clicking, even. the other parts of the electrical system still work, though, like the turn signals and horn. anybody willing to help me out with this possible electrical problem? the scooter is a 93 honda elite 80.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

How long did you crank it over? You could have roasted the starter. Do you get a relay click?
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
thesavge
Noob
Noob

Post by thesavge »

we cranked it 15 seconds most for any try and they were spaced a few minutes apart. however, there is no relay click at all when the start button is pressed. it isn't the cut off switch, and we don't think it is the start switch, either, as it feels solid still, and worked only days ago
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

You know you have o apply the brake for it to crank over? Get out a test light or multimeter and see whats up at the relay.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
thesavge
Noob
Noob

Post by thesavge »

my mistake, now it turns over and doesn't run except on starter fluid. i know the carb jets were clean just two days ago, and the gas ran clean out of the line. also, sometimes it would run for a moment if we put a finger over the tube that comes out of the top of the cylinder. still clogged jets?
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

yup, still clogged jets....have fun.
Man, it does get tiring to post the same technique for cleaning the carb over and over......it's not clean until you see light through the pilot jet (the little brass tube offset from the main jet).
1986 Honda Spree - Running amazing.....body work still needs to be done, but that's a Spring job.