85 Spree, hard start (cold engine)

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mmaannyy
BMX
BMX

85 Spree, hard start (cold engine)

Post by mmaannyy »

85 Spree runs great when warm. Idles ok when warm. Multiple long cranks to start. Helps to spray fuel into carb for fast start. Carb was cleaned 4 times last year. This week I took apart the bystarter.
Cleaned the contacts inside the by starter. Does not start any better.
Also, have to start with full throttle evey time ( is this normal? ). When engine is warm, the idle screw has to be turn in about all the way.
Screw is turned out about 1 to 1-1/2 turns. Do i need a brand new $70 Honda BYSTARTER???????
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

by-starter

Post by mikehailwood »

Did you bench test the bi-starter? The wall in the float bowl has a hole in it for gas to pass from the main chamber to the small chamber for the enriching circuit. Is that hole open?
mmaannyy
BMX
BMX

Post by mmaannyy »

Will try to check tonight.
mmaannyy
BMX
BMX

Post by mmaannyy »

This port? This port is clear.
mmaannyy
BMX
BMX

Post by mmaannyy »

How does one bench test the bystarter?
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

carb

Post by mikehailwood »

Yes, that's the connecting passage. Fuel needs to flow from the larger chamber through that passage to the smaller chamber where the enriching circuit picks it up. Put some gas in the larger chamber and make sure it slowly fills the smaller chamber.
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

bystarter

Post by mikehailwood »

I put the bystarter on the bench and measure how far the needle protrudes from the body. I then use some alligator clips to connect a battery to the bystarter leads. After a period of time the needle should move (outward) a bit. When installed, before it moves, extra gas is drawn from the smaller chamber of the floatbowl into the carb (thereby "enriching" the mixture for start-up). When the bystarter draws current long enough, the needle moves outward, closing the pathway from the small chamber in the floatbowl up into the carburetor, ending the enriching process. I cannot remember how long it takes for the needle to begin moving nor do I recall how far it moves. Figure on less than 5 minutes and about 1/8". Someone should have this info elsewhere. One other thought. Passages must be clean (open) from the float bowl all the way into the throat of the carb.
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

Your two fingers work well for a choke :wink:
1986 Honda Spree - Running amazing.....body work still needs to be done, but that's a Spring job.
mmaannyy
BMX
BMX

Post by mmaannyy »

Two finger choke, is that the way Honda designed this scooter?
How about fixing it correctly.
dgsoles
Spree
Spree

Post by dgsoles »

Hey, my carb works perfect, but when it's 10F outside, it still needs a choke, bystarter just doesn't give enough enrichment at that temp. Just a fact, they weren't mean to be run in the cold.
1986 Honda Spree - Running amazing.....body work still needs to be done, but that's a Spring job.
ALOW1
Elite
Elite

Re: 85 Spree, hard start (cold engine)

Post by ALOW1 »

mmaannyy wrote:Multiple long cranks to start. Helps to spray fuel into carb for fast start.
So what you are saying is that every time you want to ride it you have to take the airbox apart to spray some fuel into the carb?
mmaannyy
BMX
BMX

Post by mmaannyy »

If I spray the carb, it starts the first time. It was 60F last week. No spray, cranked 9 times untill it started. Each crank duration was about 10-12 seconds. I don't want to burn out the starter. I would like to fix it before I put on the cover panels. Panels are being painted.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

If the bystarter is no good then it will never "warm up" and will have problems starting hot. If it wont start cold then its somethig in the carb clogged up.

I find that cracking the throttle while cranking helps.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

from looking at that pic, that hole looks like it was drilled out. should be a tiny brass tube in there. it might be gettin to much fuel.
~2004 Geely Fashion~
mmaannyy
BMX
BMX

Post by mmaannyy »

Is this the tinybrass tube?