spedometer Question

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

liz
Noob
Noob

spedometer Question

Post by liz »

I got a speedometer on Ebay and at first thought it was faulty because obviously nothing worked. So today I'm screwen around with the plug ins etc making sure the connections are good but nothing. Then I rev it up and bam the hi beams light works and the blinker light works, but once it goes back to an idle everything looses power. Does this just mean my battery isnt charged enough?

also side question, what grit sand paper do you use on the plastics? these are pretty beat up and scratched so I've started with 320 then switched to 220 and its getting the paint off but not really any scratches. Dont know if I should go any lower than that.
Wheelman-111

Idling Dimly

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The headlamp will weaken considerably at lower RPM, and this is normal. It does not run off the battery, but gets its operating currency directly from the engine. The flashers should work with the engine stopped, so your battery may indeed need a little more time on the charger. If the battery itself is older than 3 or 4 years - and there should be a date stamped on it somewhere - then it's possibly gone bad. In that case no amount of charging will fix it.

Unless it was a typo, I think you may have the sandpaper thing backwards. 80 is very coarse and rough. 320 is fine, 220 in between. Once you get to wet sanding with 400 or 600 it's pointless to go finer, but they make 1000 and even 1500 grit if you want your scooter to do a Glass imitation. Lotsa work though. If you can feel it with your fingers, you will see it through the paint.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
liz
Noob
Noob

Post by liz »

well I dont know why but my boyfriend wanted me on 320, once I started complaining he handed me the 220. I dont know anything about wet sanding... and really this is my first time sanding plastic. 1st time sanding was an old beach cruiser I fixed up, sanded the whole thing by hand.... I dont miss sanding at all lol.

SO making sure I got this right... I can start on the rough sand paper 1st then work my way up to the finer grit.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Rougher grits take out the bigger gouges, but make scratches themselves. Start with 220 or so. Then 320 until it's close. Black 3M paper at Home Depot is designed to sand with a layer of water - you just dunk your rubber sanding block in a bucket when you feel so moved - and keep grinding until you like it. I'd go to 400, rinse and reassess. Sometimes you find places that still need 220 to bring down quickly.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH