leaking crank seal.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

fireblade
Spree
Spree

leaking crank seal.

Post by fireblade »

My nq50 was running really slow, so I kinda retired it. I noticed that there was a lot of lash in the throttle, so I thought I'd see if thats why it had gotton so slow.
But, depsite having been a runner when I parked it up (about 2-3 months go, but it's been in the shed, and it's summer here) she wont go.
Then I noticed that there was oil dripping out the side cover. So I plucked it off and found that it was leaking at the cank seal. Are these just a plain jane old seal? Maybe thats why she had lost some speed?
HONDA NQ50 "FIREBLADE"
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

if its really bad, u will lose compression through the seal. very common on spree engines. i dont think a lot of people take the time to check them and they wonder y their scooter wont run good. 8)
~2004 Geely Fashion~
fireblade
Spree
Spree

Post by fireblade »

When I tried digging it out with an awl, it slid in by heaps.
Are they just a standard seal?
HONDA NQ50 "FIREBLADE"
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

no, its a special seal. go to your local honda dealer and order up some crank seals. my advice would be to change both sides. prices range anywhere from $4-8, depending on where u go. also, spin the crank and look for any wobble. hopefully your crank wont be bent.
~2004 Geely Fashion~
Wheelman-111

Sealiness

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

CGJ's right. Don't just replace the seal. Check things.

In Theory, seals can just wear out because they're old, dry-rotted, ozone- and/or solvent exposed, etc. In Practice, in my experience a seal failure has always been secondary to a wobbly shaft. Crank bearings at a minimum. Hope I'm wrong this time. Good luck!
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
fireblade
Spree
Spree

Post by fireblade »

I wouldn't mind betting the crank is a little bent. I noticed a little bit of runout aaaaages ago when I swapped the belt for a used but less worn one.
The bore has a decent amount of wear, so it isn't worth getting too carried away with the repairs. I was planning to give it to my brother in law. he wants a scooter to go collect his mail, and turn on the irrigation on his block of land.
HONDA NQ50 "FIREBLADE"
joeweir1
Spree
Spree

Post by joeweir1 »

How do you replace the crank seal. thanks
85' Aero