Honda Tact (Aero 50) Help - What's This Rubber Thing?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

nexentt
Noob
Noob

Post by nexentt »

I have considered it, but it sounds like bystarters aren't the most reliable, and I'm not 100% sure it'd be compatible with my scooter.

Besides, it's been starting up more smoothly the last few times with a bit of a primer and a few kicks. - I was more just curious as to what exactly this rubber thing was.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

I'd leave the stock setup alone as long as it works. I would try to run down a filter for that assembly, as I think one's meant for it. Installing one may improve startup; Spree, for example, won't typically start/run without an aircleaner in place.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
nexentt
Noob
Noob

Post by nexentt »

A filter? What exactly do you mean?

The scooter's airbox came with a dry, spongy filter already (although I cleaned it up and soaked it in oil like the manuals say). Or do you mean an aftermarket filter?

Actually, I've seen quite a few people's scoots with those aftermarket air filters, like the K&N ones. Would one of those be worthwhile to install? Would it have any adverse effects? I'd be up for installing one if means I can get rid of the existing big clunky airbox.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

No, I mean that there's a possibility that the little rubber thingy, with 2 hoses, had a replaceable filter that's missing. The Express had this. A Honda shop could look at the microfiche and answer with certainty.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

motomaster99
Noob
Noob

Post by motomaster99 »

noiseguy wrote:No, I mean that there's a possibility that the little rubber thingy, with 2 hoses, had a replaceable filter that's missing. The Express had this. A Honda shop could look at the microfiche and answer with certainty.
Now that you mention it, your right, my buddy has an early 80's express that has this on it. He wanted me to tune the carb. for him...I took one look at the spaggetii disaster and said i probably shouldn't...lol...I will check and see whats in his rubber thingy (not what i meant =p) If i remember it... And how much are those k+n filters that fit the stock carbs?? (I'm missing my airbox) A link would be cool! =]
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

K&N pod filters can cause as much trouble as they solve; requires resizing the main jet. I bought one at Autozone, you just need the carb outer diameter at the air intake.

I wouldn't worry about the spaghetti mess; these carbs are dirt simple to work on.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

nexentt
Noob
Noob

Post by nexentt »

motomaster99 wrote:
noiseguy wrote:No, I mean that there's a possibility that the little rubber thingy, with 2 hoses, had a replaceable filter that's missing. The Express had this. A Honda shop could look at the microfiche and answer with certainty.
Now that you mention it, your right, my buddy has an early 80's express that has this on it. He wanted me to tune the carb. for him...I took one look at the spaggetii disaster and said i probably shouldn't...lol...I will check and see whats in his rubber thingy (not what i meant =p) If i remember it... And how much are those k+n filters that fit the stock carbs?? (I'm missing my airbox) A link would be cool! =]
That'd be awesome - I haven't had much luck finding out what this darn thing does. If someone else out there has one, that'd be great to hear about.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

nexentt wrote:
motomaster99 wrote:
That'd be awesome - I haven't had much luck finding out what this darn thing does. If someone else out there has one, that'd be great to hear about.
Here is a graphic I made to help a guy on another forum with his Aero 80.

As you can see, it has a similar canister. It is actually an air filter that goes to the bystarter. There should be a small foam filter inside.
nexentt
Noob
Noob

Post by nexentt »

Cool, thanks for that. I guess I'll try finding a little foam filter to add to mine. I guess the previous owner lost it or something. .

Do you maybe have a link to that thread/forum? Maybe there's some other helpful information.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

nexentt wrote:Cool, thanks for that. I guess I'll try finding a little foam filter to add to mine. I guess the previous owner lost it or something. .

Do you maybe have a link to that thread/forum? Maybe there's some other helpful information.
Here you go - http://www.urbanscootin.com/forum/viewt ... &sk=t&sd=a
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

I use to import containers of scooters from Japan. I have brought over 400 tact(AF09) into the USA and never seen that carb set up like yours. And yes they are pretty much like the aero 50 with a few differences. That is a sweet color also, I have never seen that color. That is one of the ealier tacts(AF09) that was produced. Sweet find. You should just swap the carb out with a USA aero 50 carb. Be easy to wire in.

Have you checked your compression? That might be it also. If your bustin around 90 thats is pretty low and it will be hard to start. But will run fine once started. How far is you idle screw in? The nice thing about the tact(AF09) is that im pretty sure it uses the 41 mm piston instead of the aero 50 which uses the 40mm piston. the 41mm piston is easier to find aftermarket.
Wheelman-111

AF05, AF09

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The '85-'87 NB50 Aero (in US) used a 41mm piston, sharing the AF05 "SE/05" block with the SE50 and SA50 Elites until 1993. I understand the '83-'84 NB50M might've used the 40mm slug.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

yah the tact uses a 41mm for stock piston. and the 83-84 aero uses a 40mm piston for stock.
nexentt
Noob
Noob

Post by nexentt »

tazland001 wrote:I use to import containers of scooters from Japan. I have brought over 400 tact(AF09) into the USA and never seen that carb set up like yours. And yes they are pretty much like the aero 50 with a few differences. That is a sweet color also, I have never seen that color. That is one of the ealier tacts(AF09) that was produced. Sweet find. You should just swap the carb out with a USA aero 50 carb. Be easy to wire in.

Have you checked your compression? That might be it also. If your bustin around 90 thats is pretty low and it will be hard to start. But will run fine once started. How far is you idle screw in? The nice thing about the tact(AF09) is that im pretty sure it uses the 41 mm piston instead of the aero 50 which uses the 40mm piston. the 41mm piston is easier to find aftermarket.
Hm, I haven't checked the compression yet, no. I'm honestly pretty new to fixing up things like this, I've been kind of learning as I go. How difficult it would it be to check the compression, would I need some fancy equipment to do so? And my idle screw's about... 3/4ths of the way in? And the jet's set to the 4th setting, it's running a bit lean.

Here's how it currently runs, maybe this can help explain what's going on. I'm finding that cold kick-starting it gets it to sputter to life for a few seconds, then it dies. Any touch of the throttle kills it even faster. So I can either do this for a few minutes until it slowly builds/warms up and runs more smoothly, or if I manually add a bit of fuel straight to the carburetor which gets it running instantly, and responds to the throttle. (I actually hear doing this might be bad for 2-stroke engines?) Anyways, that only lasts for maybe 20-30 seconds with some added throttle - but it's enough to warm up the engine, which means kickstarts after that are much easier.

But currently, it's too difficult to get started to actually use around town. If you leave it for a few hours and the engine's cooled down, you have got to start from square one again. But again - once it's warm, it runs really well.

So, any ideas? Does it sound like an issue with the carburetor, engine compression, anything like that? Using only what knowledge I've gained these past few weeks from working on this, it feels like the carb just isn't getting enough fuel to it from the start. But when it's running from the manually added fuel, the throttle starts responding, meaning fuel is getting to the carb just fine. Is there not enough suction from the vacuum tube to the petcock from a cold start?

I've seen a few people mentioning adding primers - could this be a viable solution? And sorry if any of this sounds obvious or elementary - again, I'm pretty new to stuff like this.
GIJoeBob
Elite
Elite

Post by GIJoeBob »

tazland001 wrote:I use to import containers of scooters from Japan. I have brought over 400 tact(AF09) into the USA...
I think you should do that with a container full of Honda Solos and I also think that when you do you should make me a good deal on one. :mrgreen: