need help with carb

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

spoch
Noob
Noob

need help with carb

Post by spoch »

I think I have a float valve malf going on. The problem is that the bowl over fills and is leaking out the top/gasket. I am going to order a new one but Babbits shows two different float valves. How do I find out which one to order? I have a part number off the carb which is 29HAYL7. It is off a 1986 Honda NQ50. I will also be ordering a new gasket set. The carb seems to be tuned properly and I hope changing the float valve will correct my low end bogging and flooding. I have cleaned the carb three times. Two of the times I have soaked the parts over night in carb cleaner. It runs great until you start to do turns or come to a complete stop. It then bogs between 5-7 mph. Once past 7 mph it takes off. the more you stop the more you start to smell raw fuel and then flood out. Once it stalls you can see the fuel dumping out the top. Should I also change the float itself? Thanks for the help
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

Whenever I clean/rebuild a carb I press up on the float (to seat the float valve) and blow through the fuel intake tube on the carb. If I can blow through it then I know that the float needle is not seating properly. That is my way of testing the seal.

If you want to buy a new part, then from babbits you would need #13 the "valve, float." I don't think that you would actually need a new float (#3) assuming yours still has sufficient buoyancy (see service manual). At $13 for that little float valve, I would definitely try cleaning it first, as well as the valve that it actually seats in. I believe Wheelman had a similar problem to this and maybe he can give you further insight how to clean the seat.
spoch
Noob
Noob

Post by spoch »

Thanks for the help. I miss quoted myself. I was looking at DGY and it showed two different float valves. I see Babbits only has one. I will try your test tomorrow when I pull the carb again. Thanks again.

Does anyone know or think this might be my bogging problem? Could it be belt slip or clutch slip?
teeoce
Goped
Goped

Post by teeoce »

If the belt or clutch were slipping the engine would be revving high but not accelerating very quickly (if at all).