Spree fuel strainer

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Lamb
BMX
BMX

Spree fuel strainer

Post by Lamb »

how do i get the damned thing out after i remove the petcock? the manual simply says "remove the fuel strainer and clean it", but it's not coming out of the bottom easily, and i don't see how to remove it from the top.

thanks
Lamb
BMX
BMX

Post by Lamb »

nevermind, just got some needle nose pliers and ripped it out of there

i thought cleaning it would help my gas leaking problem, nope ;(

i think ill go get an in-line fuel filter and see what that does for me
coolbeans
BMX
BMX

Post by coolbeans »

Where's it leaking? My aero is missing it's strainer and I've had to put a couple of wraps of teflon plumbing tape on the threads of the tank to keep the petcock nut from leaking.
1985 Honda Aero 50 5k
Lamb
BMX
BMX

Post by Lamb »

it's leaking from the fuel line, without any vacuum suction. if i take off the fuel line, gas pours out until the entire tank's emptied, and i'm thinking this is related to my high idling problem

i put on a mower fuel filter, but i haven't noticed any change in performance

the spree's also coming up on 3,300 miles, so i'm also contemplating an entire engine rebuild
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

Check your petcock. It could be that there is debris holding the bladder open and it's letting fuel flow freely.

You can soak it in a bucket of gas overnight or for a day or two and that might fix your problem. That worked for me once.

My aero doesn't and never has had a fuel filter and the nut doesn't leak at all.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
Lamb
BMX
BMX

Post by Lamb »

i think i'll try that, the spree service manual instructed me to blow the petcock out with compressed air, which i did for a good five minutes, and it didn't fix anything

the filter will be nice, even if it doesn't increase performance, i won't have to clean out the main jet quite as often ;P

also, did you happen to sell a red 1987 spree a few days ago? i just got one up in oxford
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

No that wasn't me. Did you get a good price? I kind of want to pick another one up for my wife so we can ride together, but I haven't seen one around that's in my price range.

Where are you located? I'd like to know some scooterists in the area...er at least 50cc scooterists. I don't think my Aero will keep up with the Vespa clubs.
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree
Lamb
BMX
BMX

Post by Lamb »

$300, mint condition with 250 miles on it

im down in fort mitchell, KY about a mile out from cincinnati
coolbeans
BMX
BMX

Post by coolbeans »

I agree, your petcock is clogged. When you have it off and your pull vacuum on it you should be able to hear the diaphragm click open and closed. If not soak it. I was able to get some bigger bits of gunk out with a toothpick but going very carefully. I don't know how fragile the diaphragm is.
1985 Honda Aero 50 5k
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

just face it you petcock is fried. It happens all the time. The diaphram dries up and doesnt work after a while. Just but a new one. New ones come with a new inline gas tank filter. Well at least the ones I sell do..
Lamb
BMX
BMX

Post by Lamb »

waited 24 hours, tested it, didn't work, air gunned it out again, and it still doesn't hold ;(

there is a lot of dirt at the bottom of the bottle that wasn't there previously though. i'll let it soak another 24 hours, give it another dusting, and try it again

i'm wondering though, what is the advantage of a working vacuum operated petcock over one that just drains via gravity, other than not leaking when you work on the carb?
Wheelman-111

Advantage: Not Catching Your House on Fire

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Lamb axt:
i'm wondering though, what is the advantage of a working vacuum operated petcock over one that just drains via gravity, other than not leaking when you work on the carb?
The workshop leakage you can address with a hemostat or a bolt to plug the hose. In operation, it's additional safety in the case of a float needle valve malfunction in the carb, which is not a rare issue. Mine would saturate an air filter in 24 hours, itself a fire hazard. Any longer and it led to a pool of gasoline beneath the scooter.
Scooter Parking: No Smoking!
I wouldn't rely only on the carb float. Fix, replace or install a manual fuel valve. Be careful blowing with compressed air. It can rupture the diaphragm.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Lamb
BMX
BMX

Post by Lamb »

i pretty much assumed that it's so screwed by this point, it didn't really matter what i did with it ;P

i haven't had any leaking problems when the system's closed, i was just thinking that the petcock allowing fuel to flow freely may have been causing my spree to idle high. right now, whenever it's put on the stand, it starts accelerating like crazy, only stopping when the brake is applied.

i've adjusted the idle screw, and to get the tire to stop spinning also makes the spree incapable of idling at all

the air screw is adjusted to 1 1/2 turns out ('86 spree), but i'm suspicious that it's turning itself out when the spree's running, as i can turn the damned air screw with my fingernail, it doesn't resist turning whatsoever

again, with 3300 miles, im contemplating a complete rebuild

hm...
Wheelman-111

Springing Screws

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Lamb submitted:
the air screw is adjusted to 1 1/2 turns out ('86 spree), but i'm suspicious that it's turning itself out when the spree's running, as i can turn the damned air screw with my fingernail, it doesn't resist turning whatsoever
There should at least be a spring behind the mixture screw. Some say (Clivester) that a teeny-tiny o-ring and washer go there too.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Lamb
BMX
BMX

Post by Lamb »

yeah, when i take out the screw, there is no spring that comes with it

i had taken the spring out of a pen (what you write with) and crammed it in there, but it didn't make much of a difference. i can't imagine the sizes are too radically different, but the pen spring currently in it is nearly twice as long as the screw itself