Im getting a 1989 Elite 50cc and I got some questions

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

djknitex
Noob
Noob

Im getting a 1989 Elite 50cc and I got some questions

Post by djknitex »

So I talked to the guy, and I'm getting a uesd one, and might paint it yellow (if you guys know what I mean), I been wanting a vespa or any of some sort, and I found one for a good price.

What I know is that it's a 1989 model, and can it clock out at 35 MPH. Is there a way to make it go a bit faster? Maybe up to 40mph and still be a 50cc? Will it be hard, or what?
1989 Honda Elite E 49cc
Wheelman-111

Re: Im getting a 1989 Elite 50cc and I got some questions

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Quoth Djknitex:
So I talked to the guy, and I'm getting a uesd one, and might paint it yellow (if you guys know what I mean),

I have no idea what you mean.
I been wanting a vespa or any of some sort, and I found one for a good price.
Congratulations and welcome. What kind of deal did you get?
What I know is that it's a 1989 model, and can it clock out at 35 MPH.

If it's an Elite "E", then it's a bit of an overachiever. If it's an Elite LX it should run a bit faster than that as is.
Is there a way to make it go a bit faster? Maybe up to 40mph and still be a 50cc? Will it be hard, or what?
That would depend upon your toolkit, your mechanical talent and experience, and the actual model of your new scooter. If you can take a pic, it'd help. (Plus we all like to drool over new pics... :oops: ) There's an awful lot of good info to read here, and you may need to demonstrate your sincerity by learning a bit on your own before people offer assistance.

The '89 Elite LXs have quite a bit of potential for performance enhancements, but the very best bang-for-your buck starts with the variator. Read up if you don't know what that means.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
djknitex
Noob
Noob

Post by djknitex »

Me and my friend bought two used 1989 Honda Elite E's, for 200$ a piece, was it a good deal? they don't run... though we bought a new battery, and still don't run, and we're thinking about taking the bike apart and clean through the engine, when you try to start it, it sounds like it's trying to, but not, what is the problem?
1989 Honda Elite E 49cc
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

DJK Axt-ed more questions:
Me and my friend bought two used 1989 Honda Elite E's, for 200$ a piece, was it a good deal?
That's an exceptionally good price even for non-runners. Something inexpensive on which to make all your rookie mistakes. :)
they don't run... though we bought a new battery, and still don't run, and we're thinking about taking the bike apart and clean through the engine, when you try to start it, it sounds like it's trying to, but not, what is the problem?
It's hard to be absolutely sure, but there may be some sort of malfunction. (I don't mean to dazzle you with technical jargon here...) You may wish to begin your cleaning through the engine at the carburetor. The methods can be found reading the Forum. More specific questions from a slightly broader knowledge base are more likely to receive answers.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
djknitex
Noob
Noob

Post by djknitex »

yeah my dad's friend is like a motorcycle mechanic, and he cleaned the carb for my scooter, it started running, but it's still dirty and such, and my friend's I think something is clogging the valve, cause the exhaust won't go when they try to start it, but I don't think it be to hard to fix and stuff, since his dad is a mechanic.
Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

they don't run... though we bought a new battery, and still don't run, and we're thinking about taking the bike apart and clean through the engine, when you try to start it, it sounds like it's trying to, but not, what is the problem?
It's hard to be absolutely sure, but there may be some sort of malfunction. (I don't mean to dazzle you with technical jargon here...) You may wish to begin your cleaning through the engine at the carburetor. The methods can be found reading the Forum. More specific questions from a slightly broader knowledge base are more likely to receive answers.
1989 Honda Elite E 49cc
Eft37
Elite
Elite

Post by Eft37 »

djknitex wrote:I'm getting a used one, and might paint it yellow (if you guys know what I mean)
He means pink Elite E, I'm willing to bet.
djknitex
Noob
Noob

Post by djknitex »

Eft37 wrote:
djknitex wrote:I'm getting a used one, and might paint it yellow (if you guys know what I mean)
He means pink Elite E, I'm willing to bet.
haha yeah it's pink....
1989 Honda Elite E 49cc
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

if the panels are in good shape ill trade you straight up for my black ones....im serious
djknitex
Noob
Noob

Post by djknitex »

why the panels?
1989 Honda Elite E 49cc
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

i would gladly trade my black panels for the pink ones, i always wanted a pink elite e. the GF would love it, and it would be much funnier smoking cars with a pink scoot....
djknitex
Noob
Noob

Post by djknitex »

scooterwerx wrote:i would gladly trade my black panels for the pink ones, i always wanted a pink elite e. the GF would love it, and it would be much funnier smoking cars with a pink scoot....
haha idk, I'm about to paint mine, and I don't want to like wait awhile for my new panels to come in
1989 Honda Elite E 49cc
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

sure, but if you ever want to trade black panels for those pinkies, im all for it!
SpyderMike
Elite
Elite

Post by SpyderMike »

scooterwerx wrote:sure, but if you ever want to trade black panels for those pinkies, im all for it!
couldnt you just paint yours pink? 8)
scooterwerx
Elite
Elite

Post by scooterwerx »

yeah but thats too much effort, stock ones are bolt on!
djknitex
Noob
Noob

Post by djknitex »

scooterwerx wrote:yeah but thats too much effort, stock ones are bolt on!
dang dude you live in CA?! otherwise we can meet up somewhere and trade.
1989 Honda Elite E 49cc