I believe I have found my problem, spark plug?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jeffhardyrules
BMX
BMX

I believe I have found my problem, spark plug?

Post by jeffhardyrules »

Ok, I took the advice and checked the kickstart gears and they looked fine, but this one piece was on wrong so I put it in the right spot and greased it so the kickstart works like brand new. Onto my engine getting hot so quickly, I checked the spark plug and it was a NGk BP5HS for a car(I think) so I checked the forums and found the correct spark plugs to use but I can't find them at any of the stores around here. I can't get very far because I can't drive a car yet(I'm 15) So all the stores don't have the NGK or ND plug I want but they have CHAMPION spark plugs so what code would I use(the letters\numbers)?
zoom
Spree
Spree

Post by zoom »

they should be able to oreder them order them over night thats what i had to do.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

The plug you need is a NGK BPR6HS.

No local convience stores have these, you need to go to either a motorcycle shop, or a honda motorcycle dealer and they'll have some. in stock usually.

you could try going to a place like advance auto and trying to order that exact plug, but it would take longer.

and yes a lower # plug will run hotter, and cause overheating. I just recenlty found this out myself. Basically if you can find a BPR#HS, where # is 6 or greater, that should work.

good luck.
projects galore :nerd:
jeffhardyrules
BMX
BMX

Post by jeffhardyrules »

Well some friends went to advanced auto and got me a plug(the guy said it would work) and my engine is still getting way to hot and still has crappy acceleration before 15mph so my dad and I are thinking of buying a new muffler because the old one is dented and has 3 or 4 holes in it. I don't think the problem lies with the oil pump because oil goes through the one tube and the level slowly goes down in the oil tank so I haven't got a clue on what to do so I just keep checking the forums day after day to find something similar anyway everybody who has helped me the last couple of days you guys rock and I greatly appriciate it.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

jeffhardyrules wrote:Well some friends went to advanced auto and got me a plug(the guy said it would work) and my engine is still getting way to hot and still has crappy acceleration before 15mph so my dad and I are thinking of buying a new muffler because the old one is dented and has 3 or 4 holes in it. I don't think the problem lies with the oil pump because oil goes through the one tube and the level slowly goes down in the oil tank so I haven't got a clue on what to do so I just keep checking the forums day after day to find something similar anyway everybody who has helped me the last couple of days you guys rock and I greatly appriciate it.
I wouldn't really trust the guys at advance auto, b/c most of the time they might not even know what a two stroke is. try to get the NGK BPR6HS and see if that helps.

And if you have holes in ur muffler and no upjet, then you are running lean. That's is whats probably making you over heat and corrode piston in the process. try a bigger jet or find a muffler w/ no holes.
projects galore :nerd:
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Get a functional muffler on it now b/f you burn your engine up. And order the right number plug.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
jeffhardyrules
BMX
BMX

Post by jeffhardyrules »

I have a plug that'll work and I am in the process of the muffler. So I get to wait until I get a hold of the guy.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

You might want to remove the carb and check the size of the main jet. Should be a #65 or 68.

How's your fan shroud / fan?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

jeffhardyrules
BMX
BMX

Post by jeffhardyrules »

My fan is is good condition. Now I am possitive it is the muffler. Thanks for the help
Justinsane
Spree
Spree

Post by Justinsane »

crack that sucker open! heh, just kiddin, definitly dont do that unless you want a pain in the *

i used heavy engine degreaser, and just sprayed it in there and then used an air compressor to shoot that outta there.
General Spree
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Set fire to the muffler.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

the best way i have found to clean the muffler, is to cut it open and clean the carbon with the torch. yea its a pia but at least u kno all tubes are spotless.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
jeffhardyrules
BMX
BMX

Post by jeffhardyrules »

This is the plan. I got the other honda muffler but it is older and won't fit so I cutting the 2 pieces of and welding the opposite ends. So then it will fit I have faith in this.

Can't go into depth because I have to get to school.
jeffhardyrules
BMX
BMX

Post by jeffhardyrules »

ok So my buddy and I are going to do some measuring so we don't cut off in a spot that would not align up correctly then we are going to fit together the two pieces (muffler and the pipe) and then hopefully everything will be aligned up correctly, or close, so I can put in that bolt just before the muffler(under the fan) and my spree will run good again. The only difference is my old muffler was rectangular and the new one is circular, which I think would look better on my spree anyway. So I'll give everybody the results tomorrow.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Did you get a spree muffler? I thought they all fit and were interchangeable from 84 thru 87?