starts but no power

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

krptonicx
Noob
Noob

starts but no power

Post by krptonicx »

Recently bought a 1985 spree from a friend of mine. He had it for 2 years and could never figure out why the spree would start and idle fine but had no power to move him around. I played around with it for a bit and thought it was the petcock so i ordered a new one. I got back to the shop and decided to play around with it a little more. I started the spree and took off the intake hose when it was running, to my amasement the thing started haulin a**. I took the air filter box off and found one of the intake ports had a spider web blocking it. I cleaned the port and the thing was running great. I cruised around a while and it still seemed to bog down a bit at high speeds. I drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the side of the intake box and it seemed to solve all problems. This thing went from going absolutly nowhere to haulin my fat a** around at about 30 miles an hour. Hope this helps some body.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Re: starts but no power

Post by Lunytune »

I don't know about spider webs. Never had that happen. But I do know if you have anything that sets very long, mud dobbers or dirt dobbers will build a nest. I've had them build on the inside of the air breather on my old hunting truck, and also on the inside of a wheel, which will cause it to be out of balance. I've also had them build a nest in the squirrel cage of the heater fan on a school bus that set dormant over the summer months. I've also had them build nests in inconvenient parts of lawnmowers and rototillers, anything that may sit dormant for a while. Wasps can also be an inconvience, but they usually like to get up high.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Blowback oil and dirt also like to clog up the intake holes on a spree.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Lunytune
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Lunytune »

Forgot one other item. I've had mice build nests in inconvenient places, and they love barns.
Friends don't let friends buy Chinese bikes
adark248
Elite
Elite

Post by adark248 »

Those effing Spreeders! Building their nests all over the place. It must've been one strong * spreeder with a net so dense it could block the airflow :shock:
1984 Honda Aero 50
1986 Honda Spree